SpriteManager WebGL transparency draw issues and improves

I guess we looking at same engine on different angles. I’m talking about development games like don’t sarve, ori and the blind forest, beholder. You looking at sprites as 2d object in 3d space. But there are tons of games that use 3d objects in 2d space and graphics they use also mostly in 2d. Also 3d engine for isometric (2d) games actually a perfect choose - it just sorts all you objects in right order without any cpu reordering.
As another example - lod billboards for big scenes. I suppose it’s much better to draw another 10-20k trees in backgroud just because you can.
In understand YAGNI way of doing things, but it still can’t get your position about “meh it’s fast enough”.

Anyway i’ll send my PR someday soon

My comments are those of a community member and not one of the core team.

@tynrare it is great that you are passionate about the way sprites are handled and you are submitting a PR to improve the sprite manager.

The core team and the community are also passionate about Babylon.js and you are correct that this passion is towards 3D rather than 2D and we generally look at sprites as 2D objects in 3D space. It follows that changes to sprite management are not a high priority to the community, though some members have made some small development in this area.

It is easy even among families that speak the same language and have the same culture for the tone to be misunderstood even more so when the communication is in written form and facial and other cues are not present. This misunderstanding of tone is more exaggerated in a community where many write in English as an additional language. It is best therefore to be very careful in how we phrase comments.

For example your phrase

shows an interpretation of what @Evgeni_Popov said as being condescending and dismissive. Nowhere in anything he wrote can I find that tone. Then by using that phrase, which I cannot find as a direct quote, to describe what Evgeni said creates a tone that is antagonistic and is not helpful.

As you have said a few times you wish us to

and we do for the reasons I have stated. Sometimes even knowing that their are issues with language some phrases still jar. We will do our best to remember that your way of writing is not intended to be offensive. Please do your best in interpreting the tone of what we say in the same way.

We are pleased to have you with us and look forward to your brilliant contributions. :slightly_smiling_face: :slightly_smiling_face: :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes