Update link when using gizmo manager

hello ,

i’m using gizmo manager for scaling , translate and rotate object . i have links between objects and i want to update links when i move his joint objects.
links are tubes :

path = [
objlink1.position,
objlink2.position
];
var tube = BABYLON.MeshBuilder.CreateTube(“tube”, {path: path, radius: 2.9}, scene);

thanks for ur help :slight_smile:

Hi @issam_abdelhedi

You can add an observable. The function will be called when the gizmo position is changed:

gizmoManager.gizmos.positionGizmo.xGizmo.dragBehavior.onDragObservable.add(() => {
// recompute link tubes
}
2 Likes

thanks @Cedric for ur time but i don’t understand u about : “// recompute link tubes” !!

Replace the comment with the code that computes your tubes.

2 Likes

var onPointerMove = function (evt) {
var pickInfo = scene.pick(scene.pointerX, scene.pointerY);
if (!pickInfo.pickedMesh) {
return;
}

if (pickInfo.pickedMesh) {

if (mouseAction === rotateAction) {
            document.onkeydown({key: "e"});

} else if (mouseAction === dragAction) {
            document.onkeydown({key: "w"});

gizmoManager.gizmos.positionGizmo.xGizmo.dragBehavior.onDragObservable.add(() => {
           			 var tube = BABYLON.MeshBuilder.CreateTube("tube", {path: path, radius: 2.9}, scene);

})

} else if (mouseAction === scaleAction) {
            document.onkeydown({key: "r"});

}
    }
}

Nothing change :confused:

Can you log the path in the console and check if it’s updated ?

Can you provide a playground?

1 Like

path it’s update but nothing change :confused:

Can you move this line to add the observer in your init code and not when you get a picked mesh:

gizmoManager.gizmos.positionGizmo.xGizmo.dragBehavior.onDragObservable.add

Hi guys.
I decided to do some playground testing of this stuff, and using Cedric’s good advice.

https://www.babylonjs-playground.com/#26L8BS#7

Click boxes to activate drag gizmo on each.

Thanks to the original author of this playground series… whomever that was. It made a great starter playground for us, here.

Most of the fun… happens in lines 63-77. There, I create a dispose’n’recreate function named updateTubes (there might be a better way to update tubesMesh, but maybe not).

In lines 71-77, I attach observers to the X and Z drag-events… which simply call updateTubes.

Although we are using tubeMesh (createTube) in a way similar to linesMesh (createLine), I don’t think tubeMesh has the “easy update” feature that linesMesh has.

So, I dispose the old tubes, and recreate, over and over very fast, as the drags happen. (inside updateTubes func)

Want to have y-drag observing/tubesUpdate, too? Easy… I added lines 79-81, here. :slight_smile:

Ok, that’s all I have. I wanted to see it, test it, and make sure things are understood, here. We needed something to play-with, eh? That’s what the playground is all-about, right? Good fun.

3 Likes

Hi again. I wanted to note… that MY demo playground… is one continuous “sequence” of tubes/nodes… but Issam’s challenge… uses NON-sequential tube paths.

In his picture, we see that ONE of the nodes… has 3 tubes attached… and this causes some concerns which we forum helpers COULD try to help-with.

I use the very simple and sequential objs array… in the updateTubes() function - line 66. When doing a “tree” like Issam’s picture, the situation gets more “ugly”.

Let’s try to help Issam invent a way… to do the multi-branch tree.

ONE way… might be to allow sub-paths… within the createTube()'s path parameter… which would take some SERIOUS modification of the createTube function… and possibly break backward compat.

Another way… would be a “pre-process”… of objs array, checking for nodes with multiple tubeMesh needed… not sure. Let’s try… to invent a tree-of-tubes system… somehow… which also updates with each gizmo-drag… but only updates THAT branch-o-tubes. I think we will need multiple tubeMesh… one for each branch/sub-branch.

2 Likes

thanks a lot @Wingnut for ur time and ur help :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Wingnut what do u think about this : https://www.babylonjs-playground.com/#9LYFQL#1 :smiley:

just the performance is not really good

1 Like

COOOOL! i like it.

Are you going to do “the bird”, next? https://www.babylonjs-playground.com/#1ZAXRO#10 :smiley:

1 Like