Using image tracking in babylon react native

Hi!

I’m quite hype about the image tracking that was just added to to BabylonNative and BabylonReactNative. I’ve been trying to get it working for a while now but I can’t seem to get anything out of the system.

This is how I’ve got it set up now:

useEffect(() => {
      if (context.featuresManager && context.scene !== undefined) {
          console.log("SET TRACKING IMAGES");
          const webXRImageTrackingModule = context.featuresManager.enableFeature(
              WebXRFeatureName.IMAGE_TRACKING,
              "latest",
              {
                      {
                          src: "https://developers.google.com/ar/images/augmented-images-earth.jpg",
                          estimatedRealWorldWidth: 0.2
                      },
                      {
                          src: "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/KhronosGroup/glTF-Sample-Models/master/2.0/DragonAttenuation/screenshot/screenshot_large.png",
                      }
                  ]
              }
          ) as WebXRImageTracking;
          webXRImageTrackingModule.onTrackableImageFoundObservable.add(event => {
              console.log("IMAGE TRACKABLE " + event.id);
          });
          webXRImageTrackingModule.onUntrackableImageFoundObservable.add(event => {
              console.log("IMAGE UNTRACKABLE " + event);
          });
          webXRImageTrackingModule.onTrackedImageUpdatedObservable.add((imageObject: IWebXRTrackedImage) => {
              console.log("SHOULD BE SHOWING SOMETHING" + imageObject.id);
          });
      }
  }, [context.featuresManager]);

However, I only seem to get the first console message “SET TRACKING IMAGES”. None of the events seem to trigger. Is there a way for me to find out what’s going wrong? I already changed one of the images to the one suggested by google here: Add dimension to images  |  ARCore  |  Google Developers

I’m using these versions:
@babylonjs/core”: “5.2.0”,
@babylonjs/loaders”: “5.2.0”,
@babylonjs/react-native”: “1.1.0”,

Thanks! :smiley:

1 Like

Adding @ryantrem and @bghgary to the thread

1 Like

@AlexTran?

1 Like

Hi Peter, awesome to hear you’re trying out the image tracking feature :smiley:!

I was able to get these images loading in the Babylon React-Native Playground using your code directly, so hopefully we can figure out what is going on in your application.

One important requirement about using the Image Tracking Feature is that it must be attached before calling context.baseExperience.enterXRAsync. The reason for this is the current WebXR Image Tracking spec only supports tracking for images declared at session initialization time. From your code it looks like you are waiting for the context object to be instantiated, so if the useEffect which sets the context object is also calling enterXRAsync it is likely that this chunk of code is being run after session init. What I would suggest is moving this code to the same useEffect/useCallback where you are initializing the XR session.

Here is the code I tested in the BabylonReactNative Playground app for reference:

const onToggleXr = useCallback(() => {
    (async () => {
      if (xrSession) {
        await xrSession.exitXRAsync();
      } else {
        if (rootNode !== undefined && scene !== undefined) {
          const xr = await scene.createDefaultXRExperienceAsync({ disableDefaultUI: true, disableTeleportation: true });
          const webXRImageTrackingModule = xr.baseExperience.featuresManager.enableFeature(
            WebXRFeatureName.IMAGE_TRACKING,
            "latest",
            {
                    {
                        src: "https://developers.google.com/ar/images/augmented-images-earth.jpg",
                    },
                    {
                        src: "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/KhronosGroup/glTF-Sample-Models/master/2.0/DragonAttenuation/screenshot/screenshot_large.png",
                    }
                ]
            }
          ) as WebXRImageTracking;
          webXRImageTrackingModule.onTrackableImageFoundObservable.add(event => {
              console.log("IMAGE TRACKABLE " + event.id);
          });
          webXRImageTrackingModule.onUntrackableImageFoundObservable.add(event => {
              console.log("IMAGE UNTRACKABLE " + event);
          });
          webXRImageTrackingModule.onTrackedImageUpdatedObservable.add((imageObject: IWebXRTrackedImage) => {
              console.log("SHOULD BE SHOWING SOMETHING" + imageObject.id);
          });

const session = await xr.baseExperience.enterXRAsync('immersive-ar', 'unbounded', xr.renderTarget);
          setXrSession(session);
          session.onXRSessionEnded.add(() => {
            setXrSession(undefined);
            setTrackingState(undefined);
          })

setTrackingState(xr.baseExperience.camera.trackingState);
          xr.baseExperience.camera.onTrackingStateChanged.add((newTrackingState) => {
            setTrackingState(newTrackingState);
          });

// TODO: Figure out why getFrontPosition stopped working
          //box.position = (scene.activeCamera as TargetCamera).getFrontPosition(2);
          const cameraRay = scene.activeCamera!.getForwardRay(1);
          rootNode.position = cameraRay.origin.add(cameraRay.direction.scale(cameraRay.length));
          rootNode.rotate(Vector3.Up(), 3.14159);
        }
      }
    })();
  }, [rootNode, scene, xrSession]);
3 Likes

Hi! Thanks for the quick and thorough response! This is indeed happening after the ar initialisation so that could be it! Tomorrow is a national holiday here but I’ll check the day after :smile:

Thanks again!

2 Likes

Hi! It does detect now, and I also get the trackable etc events. Thanks! :smiley:

3 Likes

This thread saved me now more hours of trying to get WebXRImageTracking on React-Native running! You should think about on how to communicate these glitches regarding React-Native implementation in a much better way.

1 Like

Welcome to the forums!

Feel free to contribute documentation. It’s all open source.

Hey @siggis!

Glad my question on the forum helped you out :smile:, I understand your frustration about the lack of documentation of some of the newer babylon react native features. However, I personally prefer the focus on new features vs amazing up to date documentation.

It does take some getting used to, but I’ve been able to piece together everything I need using the docs as a starting point and then googling the rest. Everything that I haven’t been able to find through there I’ve been able to ask in the forum, with honestly lightning fast answers from the devs, just like what happened here.

So yeah, I agree with you that it’s not ideal but remember that BabylonJS is free to use so I’m honestly happy working around some of these minor issues.

1 Like