I’ve got a orbital simulation of a solar system that includes a procedurally generated asteroid belt. Currently, the rocks are proc’d using an SPS, and it seems to work just fine.
After doing some reading and watching @PirateJC videos on ThinInstances though, I’m wondering if it might be a better solution to use them instead of the SPS.
- Individual control over each asteroid, which would give the scene a more dynamic and evolving feel
- ability to perform collision detection between individual asteroids and the player
- performance improvements?
- current setup works fine, changing over is time/effort that could be used elsewhere
- game design doesn’t require fine grained collision detection in this context
- raises potential for defects and related resolution efforts
Does anyone have any sort of guidance they like to follow when making these types of decision? Given the above context, does it make sense to be considering this right now when there are a lot of other things that need implementing, or will it be relatively easy to do this at some time in the future?
Thanks for any insights!