Virtual Reality Talks

I have the intention to buy a Meta Quest 2 and wanted to ask you if you have had more good or bad experiences with it and what I need in terms of accessories and configuration to be fully equipped to enjoy the virtual world.

I wear glasses, is there any difficulty because of this?

It is said that I need a compatible gaming PC to access the Rift library. What does that mean exactly?

One of the first applications I want to use with it is to improve my language skills with ImmerseMe Language Learning App

Hello,

I experienced the Meta Quest 2 I’ve purchased a couple months ago. I don’t know if this will help as it might be more of a personal experience/expectation and not the device itself.

Actually not impressed at all. For starters resolution wise it sucks, and having a heavy thing squeezed to my face ( I don’t have the headset add-on some recommend to improve that) is something I don’t feel is a good experience at all. I am almost 40 and my neck cannot stand having this in my face for more than 10 mins, even sitting down with a head rest, which is stupid for a VR device where you are supposed to be standing or at least be moving your head around. With this said I used it a couple times and it’s sitting in the box ever since.
On the good side, controllers are really responsive and easy to use and the fact that is a standalone device and 100% wireless it is a plus. The battery also sucks as it heats up when playing WebXR games which turns the experience even worst.

I am a gamer/game developer and I’ve learned I don’t like the current VR experience on games ( maybe reducing the size and weight might help). I’ve been using extended game reality for a decade+ now and I still think ( I play ping pong and bowling on it on weekly basis) Kinetic with no controllers at all is the best experience for extended play. I am actually sad project IllumiRoom did not evolved to a commercial project :frowning:
I also play a lot of Nintendo Switch with my family, with Mario party and other party games. Not VR or extended reality though.

With this said what I’ve learned from the Meta Quest 2… I am not into wearable devices. Period! :stuck_out_tongue:

Main reason I bought it was mostly because I want to explore BabylonJs and WebXR development through 2023 ( haven’t yet had a real chance of doing it so but hope to do it soon).

Hope it helps somehow.
Cheers!

1 Like

Hey @One_Flag thank you for your detailed report about your experience with this device. That gives me something to think about. I will try such a device once in a store before I break my neck in virtual diving or mountain climbing! :rofl:

1 Like

The decision has been made. I have bought a Pico 4! *yeah

I’m old school and not too interested in action games. It would be nice if we can use this thread to introduce some easily digestible VR games. What I’m looking for are games with beautiful landscapes to explore, climbing on mountains, sailing or just driving slowly around in a vintage car.

1 Like

I finally found the time to unpack and test my Pico 4. I am overwhelmed! You dive into a whole new world!

Here is my first free tool, incredible how you can create things around your self!

Gravity Sketch Trailer 2020 - YouTube

And the many documentations in 3D are breathtaking. You fly over beautiful landscapes or underwater and discover unknown worlds up close and so realistic!

1 Like

I rediscovered the google Arts & culture again :slight_smile:

360° videos — Google Arts & Culture