A tutorial video and better documentation on VR metrics is needed. Currently I haven’t found any information on how to properly configure the VR-metric values.
After reading docs/api and searching online all I can say is that the parameters for VR (VRCameraMetrics) are magic numbers. There remain lots of questions on this topic:
- How to calculate chromaAbCorrection and distortionK for the different VR-devices?
- How to measure different values on the different VR-devices and how do these correspond to the BabylonJS VRCameraMetrics parameters? Maybe a collection of these measurements can be created for a variety of (popular) devices; GearVR, Carboard v1 and v2, etc.
- The interpupillaryDistance is a number that is 64mm on the avarage human. All these known factors can be included in the instructions (docs/video).
- It is unclear what type of values to use on certain parameters. For example this is displayed on the site: vScreenSize:number, Define the vertical screen size. I know it is a number, but not what unit of measurement is expected (in mm/cm/m/inch)?
- The VRCameraMetrics has a GetDefault method to retrieve default parameters for VR-settings. What are those values and what VR-device and mobile-device correspond to it?
External (non-Babylon) calibration tests return values that don’t correspond with the parameters BabylonJS use. People recommend QR-codes, but these present the same issue and you don’t know what values they derrive from it, which kind of defeats the point. Besides those QR-codes aren’t always on the VR-device.
For mobile it is recommended to get the WebVR-polyfill library as a substitute or an addition. But this library provides more then getting the proper values, making it to big. Besides the values again do not correspond with the BabylonJS parameters and I don’t see any values provided except for the Cardboard device.
Please provide some insight into the horrors of VR…
Thanx in advance, …