WebGPU is coming to Babylon.js

@sebavan
I was reading this (attached). Does this mean that the null engine will be able to do more things like generating images without the need for the canvas?

Also Serialising GLB’s etc

@bozworth what do you mean by more universal ? We want to offer a way to support both glsl and/or wepgu shaders for both webgl or webgpu I am totally open if you have a better approach as none of the work on wghlsl has been started so far.

@mimeeq3d_neal the problem is not really the canvas per se but the lack of node.js as we could rely on offscreen canvas for offscreen generation. I hope a node.js plugin would soon be available for webgpu. Else you might also be able to rely on Babylon native :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Glad to see how excited others are about this.

@xmac

@sebavan just to confirm. You hope, that someone (not Babylon team) create node.js plugin for WebGPU? Do you expect that GPU will be required for that offscreen tasks?

In general, yup having a nice dawn projection available in node would be cool even if it requires a gpu for automation. Then I agree a Swift Shader like fallback added into it could help even more for instance with automated tests and so on.

I can see a lot of use cases for backend automation. Thank you for the reply!

Looks like FF has webGPU in their nightly builds.

5 Likes