What are the pros and cons between Babylon 3D GUI and MRTK2?

I’m starting to work on the 3D UI for my main project and I’m trying to understand the trade-offs between MRTK2 and Babylon 3D GUI.

Looking at GUI | Babylon.js Documentation it does not mention MRTK.

Assuming I will have XR integration in the future…

Are both UI frameworks well supported within Babylon?
Is one expected to be favoured over the other in the future?
Babylon 3D GUI seems easier to work with (and the examples look nicer), are there extra features in MRTK not present in the 3D GUI?

I will give both a try, but would be great to avoid surprises in the future :sweat_smile:

Thanks

cc @RaananW

1 Like

Yes! Well, the Babylon 3D GUI is maintained by the team, and the MRTK controls are integrated as well:

MRTK is a set of “standards” , and you should take them this way. We try to maintain a close relationship to the standard. The 3D GUI itself is probably much more flexible than MRTK, but MRTK is familiar and is a well researched way of providing UI in a 3D application.

The tradeoff? It depends on what you want and how flexible you want to be when designing your 3D UI.

MRTKv3 will slowly be integrated as well. There is no official timeline for this, so I would take my last sentence with a pinch of salt, but I can point at this PR - Create mrtkv3 button [Contnued] by tayomadein · Pull Request #12989 · BabylonJS/Babylon.js (github.com) which is hopefully first of many :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks! The V3 is looking really nice!
I think the lack of customisation of the v2 at the moment may not serve my needs, but I’ll keep trying :grinning: Thanks