What is the best workflow for contributing to BabylonJS?

Hello!

I just recently got involved with BabylonJS and when initialising and building the repository locally I get a whole lot of file changes which clogs up my entire git tree and git tools.

In the official guide (here) it’s stated that one should git update-index --assume-unchanged a bunch of files, however not all files are stated since I have 103 file changes when I build fresh from master. (edit: It looks like using git config core.autocrlf true it’s only 24 file changes). To be honest, the repository is pretty overwhelming for me.

• What should be the line ending settings for git?
  • Is it ‘officially’ supported to develop on mac os, like I do?
  • How to properly ignore changes in the preview release folder?
  • I also have 3 changes in sharedUiComponents folders, what’s up with this?
  • Any resources that I can look at to learn more about the repository structure?
  • What are the main gulp tasks that I should run when developing locally?
  • What is overall the best strategy (or possible strategies) for developing locally? should I use inspector or localdev? or maybe a combination of both?
  • What is the daily workflows that the main contributors are using?

It would be great to collect some responses for updating the contribution guide!

Thanks!

1 Like

Hey and welcome (and thanks for your willingness to contribute)

• What should be the line ending settings for git?
    I did not set mine but I would assume /r/n

• Is it ‘officially’ supported to develop on mac os, like I do?
    Of course, a lot of people do it with Mac

• How to properly ignore changes in the preview release folder?
    I’m using vscode and before commiting I simply select the dist folder and revert it (right click on it). I’m sure @RaananW will have a better option :slight_smile:

• I also have 3 changes in sharedUiComponents folders, what’s up with this?
    No idea :slight_smile: What did you change?

• Any resources that I can look at to learn more about the repository structure?
    The best we have is Start Contributing to Babylon.js | Babylon.js Documentation (babylonjs.com)

• What are the main gulp tasks that I should run when developing locally?
    See the doc I mentioned

• What is overall the best strategy (or possible strategies) for developing locally? should I use inspector or localdev? or maybe a combination of both?
    I depend on what you want. I personally alternate between localIndex and local playground

• What is the daily workflows that the main contributors are using?
    Not sure to get your question :frowning:

2 Likes