10 particle systems of 2000 vs 1 of 20000

Hi all

So going to dive into the particle system now for a small contract , as the title asks , i can understand some extra processing for more systems but how bad is it when the resulting amount of particles are the same as say a single system of the same number?

1 Like

Hmm that’s curious, I’d guess the biggest drawback would be drawing the particles in more draw calls but would need testing to see how big a difference it would make…

EG on my MacBook with 1 particle system of 20,000 the frame rate is about 350 and with 10 separate systems of 2,000 it’s still about 350. And using GPUParticleSystem the frame rate is about 2500 either way. So no noticeable difference on this device at least but it would be interesting to test more target devices to see how the performance holds up. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

so i like what you are telling me , because obviously i want many smaller systems acting around various items of geometry :wink:

Yep I was pleasantly surprised that it was about the same either way, so no need to overcomplicate things with one big system… I’ll have to do more testing on that too eventually thou, eg for my laser beam’s particles. :slight_smile: :beer:

2 Likes

thanks @Blake , i will share where this all gets used when the project is live.

1 Like