3dmax to GLTF. Visibility parameter

Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding the visibility property when exporting from 3dsmax to gltf.
In the documentation it looks like the object visibility should transfer from 3dsmax to gltf but it doesn’t seem to be the case. Same thing with the animation of the visibility.
This is how I set it up in 3dsmax. Is this the right controller for it?http://prntscr.com/sddrkv

I created a playground with a gltf file I exported from max. The static box should have a visibility of 50% and the moving one should fade from 100% to 0%.
https://playground.babylonjs.com/#AXWV3Z

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks!

Chris

Pinging @Drigax

Hi @christopheC,

From what I can tell, visibility animations aren’t supported in glTF: Animation support for 'visibility' · Issue #1314 · KhronosGroup/glTF · GitHub

Looking at the state of the referenced pull request, there’s been some progress, and a partial, unmerged implementation in Babylon.js, however, I can’t say that this is really supported, and we have yet to implement it in the exporters as a result…

In short, there’s a lot to do to get this to where it’s usable…

Pinging @bghgary if he has any extra insight to add to this.

Visibility is not part of the core glTF 2.0 spec. There are some proposals that might help in the future. Short-term, you can perhaps use a zero size to make things invisible?

Thanks for your feedback.
I ended up creating an animation directly in BabylonJS in order to animate the visibility.

I hope visibility becomes part of gltf at some point but I understand this is not up to you guys :slight_smile:

Have a great day.

Chris

1 Like

I hope visibility becomes part of gltf at some point but I understand this is not up to you guys

We participate in the 3d formats working group under Khronos, so we have partial influence. :slight_smile:

If you’re up for it, I recommend that you chime on this PR: KHR_nodes_disable extension by UX3D-nopper · Pull Request #1760 · KhronosGroup/glTF · GitHub