Add animation(.fbx) to 3d avatar

Hi,
We have an avatar (glb) file we are trying to add walking animation by downloading .fbx file from mixamo

Using the link i tried to connect the meshes and update the object positions but it was not working

Can somebody pls guide me how to take it forward

Thanks
vijay

There is a lot of relevant information about it in other thread -
https://forum.babylonjs.com/t/mixamo-to-babylon/24922/7

The following is the code snippet i tried
https://jsfiddle.net/vijaysagi/exafoh8s/
It is giving me blank screen, pls suggest the way forward

I have taken the reference from the below link

A couple notes:

• You are using camera1 which is never defined
  • The .glb file you provided doesn’t have any animation groups, so getAnimationGroupByName(“samba”) returns undefined. You can see the list of all animation groups in scene.animationGroups
  • The camera radius is too far to actually see the character. I played with it a bit and found that 1.5 is close enough to be visible. Strangely, the mesh disappears when the radius is less than or equal to 1.0; I’m not certain why this is. Maybe someone else on here would know?

Here is an updated jsfiddle: Edit fiddle - JSFiddle - Code Playground

By the way, we recommend the Babylon.js playground at http://playground.babylonjs.com/ if you are able to use it. It is more optimized for prototyping with Babylon :slight_smile: You can experiment with a scene, and then save a link and share it here on the forum so we can help you debug.

1 Like

@vijay_krishna : I will take a look at your model, tonight, to see what I can do. One issue I know that I will run into is that different Mixamo models have different numbers of bones 63-67 from my recollection.

Will see what I can do.

Stay Safe, gryff :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Darragh Thanks for the support, please find the glb file with walking animation added.

can somebody help me to access glb from remote location. Unable to access from google drive,
I am new to babylon.js pls bear me…

Thanks
vij

Here is your model at PG - Babylon.js Playground
(I put it to Github, see URL in the source code)

1 Like

@vijay_krishna : And here is your original, animationless, model with a walking animation.

Smart Lady

Which is what the original title of this thread was requesting.

Nice looking avatar, though quite a heavy cost on resources (textures). and Mixamo rigs do have 60+ bones which if you don’t need fancy hand animations is a lot.

2 Likes

@gryff can you pls share the source code, wanted to know how you are able to achieve this…

Thanks @labris for your help…
you guys have helped me in the hour of need
Thank you so much…

I did not use any code to create the animation - just used Blender 2.93 and Mixamo. using the following steps.

1 : Imported your glb file into Blender.
2.: Arranged the model so it was in a TPose. (Mixamo - gives better results with TPose).
3 : Unparented all the meshes from the rig (detached the meshes from the rig).
4 : Exported all the meshes (only) to an .fbx file (Hide everything else in the scene - make them inactive).
5 : Uploaded this new .fbx file to Mixamo, set the control points that Mixamo wants (see image below), then added a Mixamo animation to the character.
6. Downloaded the animated .fbx file to my PC, then carried out the the actions that I posted here
7 : Then exported as a .babylon file

Here is the TPose fbx file I initially exported to Mixamo :

Lady fbx - use as you want

So no special coding - just using Blender and Mixamo.

FBX in Mixamo

2 Likes

@vijay_krishna

If you think the above is too difficult or time consuming, you could try this Blender addon if you wish. Not tried it myself - so not sure how well it works.

Retargeting Any Motion Capture Data in Blender From Mixamo

Blender Simple Retargeting Addon Update V2 Tutorial For Linking Motion Capture Animation Data

2 Likes