Mixamo to babylon

Hi,

I’ve been trying to follow the tutorials at Mixamo to Blender to Babylon.js | Babylon.js Documentation and Animating Characters | Babylon.js Documentation but I keep running into problems.

When I just do a straight export of Mixamo (Ganfaul) and import as fbx into blender and export to glb then all of a sudden I get a model that is like inside out, etc.!

Screen Shot 2021-10-30 at 22.05.12|542x442

If I export using the babylon exporter than the model works.

However, then when I try to follow the steps for animation the model gets completely distorted.

It also seems that in blender 2.9.3 that the screen shown after “All transforms” doesn’t show up as it does in the tutorial.

this one:

Sorry - I know these are newb questions… just trying to get a default model from mixamo → babylon using latest blender.

1 Like

Hey @tobowers :blush:

As far as fbx to glb maybe want to ask this within a Blender group as well and see what they say.
Myself using Mixamo I would combine model with rig animation then bring into Blender. When I first did it I separated both and it confused me :laughing:
As far as Transforms when you hit Apply the coordinates you plugged in from the location,rotate,scale sections connect to the model.

1 Like

Thanks. I’m just trying to do straight Mixamo to Babylon. Nothing fancy at all.

1 Like

@tobowers : I’m not sure there is anything wrong with Blender 2.93 as I have had no trouble with Mixamo animations.I do always import the .fbx files with with the Armature->Automatic Bone Orientation box checked. No idea if that makes any difference - just gives me the bones set up as I like them.

I have no problems with the “Apply All Transforms”, just do the rig/armature first, then the meshes. Works fine - except for its position - now way below its position (Image 1 below). The whole rig/Meshes get moved. It will export as .babylon file - but the animation is all over the place.This is due to the location of the hip bone not being scaled correctly now in the animation.

To fix this issue, open the Graph Editor and fix the scaling.(Image 2 below).

Here is a video to show how to do that. Mixamo, To Blender, To Godot Engine.

The bits you want start around 6 minutes and run to about 8-9 minutes. The stuff about Godot Engine is not important, though he does have a script for renaming all the bones to delete all the mixamorig: from the bone names. Saves a little on file size and easier to work with.

Hope that helps a little. All done with Blender 2.93

Stay Safe, gryff :slight_smile:

Image 1:

Image 2 :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Excellent answer! Thanks for sharing your knowledge! :vulcan_salute:

2 Likes

Thank you! This is amazing and now I have an animation that’s not distorted. I did not have the same problem where the hips drop down. I think the super important difference here was to scale and de-rotate the armature first which isn’t in the tutorial.

Now though - because of the removal of the rotation, my character defaults into laying on the ground and walking up into the sky. Is the suggested way to handle that to rotate in babylon?

1 Like

@tobowers : Not sure what you are doing. These are my steps in order:

1. Import the fbx with Armature->Automatic Bone Orientation box checked.
  2. Select the Armature and "Apply All Transforms".
  3. Select the mesh and "Apply All Transforms".
  4. In the Graph Editor scale just all the location keys by 0.01 in the Y direction as in the video.
  5. Export as a .babylon file.

Last night I went to Mixamo looking for your character “Ganfaul” and found “Ganfaul_m_aure”. I assumed it is your character. I then added a walking animation and downloaded it.

I imported it into Blender, and carried out the five steps above in that order. Loaded the file into the Playground. Here is the result :

Ganfaul

The red cube and the character mesh are at location 0,0,0 (the cube is the camera target). The character is walking on a regular ground plane.

If you want the Blender file - happy to post it. gryff :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Thank you for this guide, animation pipelines are something that a lot of folks here (myself included) struggle with, so I really appreciate you sharing your knowledge :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m sorry to come back here but I must be missing something obvious. Attached is a short video of what I did. non-working video: Loom | Free Screen & Video Recording Software

However… here’s a path which produces something good but requires two(!) exports to work. working video: Loom | Free Screen & Video Recording Software

oh interesting - I downloaded a new walking character and now the keyframes, etc appear as they do in the video.

This seems to work now without any transformations for me (exporting to glb) Combining Mixamo animations in Blender 2.8 for BabylonJS - YouTube . Maybe mixamo just gave me a bad file before.

1 Like

@tobowers : I took a look at your videos and noticed when you “apply transforms” you use the second “armature” in the list. Don’t! Use the "armature right at the top. Don’t use your method in the second video

See image below. Never had a bad file from Mixamo.

Image :

error01

1 Like