Audi Q8 Configurator Demo

Finally done with my Audi demo that we are going to showcase tomorrow!
Which me luck :slight_smile:

https://demo.wec360.se/auto/

It started as a high poly model which we then simplified from 4.5m polys down to 300k
The painting was done in substance painter, and then exported to where we only had a base color, normals and a occlusionMetalnessRougness textures for the different parts of the car.

Since this was one of my / our first babylonjs projects there was a lot of learning going on, around how to best structure the scene, how to best compress the textures, the data. How to structure the state and how to react to state changes. There is a lot to learn…

I was able to use rxjs observables as a state stream om paint changes, which then where reacted to by the paint system which finds the right material and does the work.

It feels like the ECS model, but instead of looping all the time, i simply react to the changes coming from the UI. I found this very easy to work with, and being able to connect the camera as a listener to the state stream also worked really well.

I’ve still got a lot to learn, but that is what drives me to go to work every day :slight_smile:

16 Likes

Woot! Fantastic !

You should add it to our homepage!!!

Pinging @PirateJC

@Leon

This rocks! Love it! You ok with me adding this to our 4.0 Release Video?

What was your general process for simplifying from 4.5m polys down to 300k?

@Deltakosh I’ll add it when I get back from the trip

@PirateJC Yes you may add it to the release video :smile:

@Devin_Wright I’ll check with my 3d artist and get back to you…

Awesome looking model! very realistic , good UI and UX and the configurator , well done.

Let me share my experience with reducing vertexes. I had a 3D scan model of Ganesh statue with 200k vertexes. Model size Was ~30MB which is too big to download for smartphone with mobile network. So I decide to reduce the size by reducing details.

I found that Blender allows iteratively reduce vertexes automatically. But if you reduce too many vertex with tool then you end up creating holes in the mesh. So after a sweet spot you need to manually select and dissolve vertexes.

Manually dissolving too many vertex at time can give a flat surface or hole. So it is repetitive process of carefully selecting dissolving and undoing vertexes. At the end I found it really exhausting due to repetitions and I abandoned it.

I hope Leon know a better way to do it.

1 Like

With 300k vertex the model still feel smooth but a reddit thread said more than 100k is too far gone. I wonder how many vertexes are too far gone for WebGL.

It would be just so much easier to simply get an appropriate digital product mesh/design right from the start. Wouldn’t it?:wink:
Great job @Leon . Sry I only see it now. It’s still top level compared to more recent ones. Hope you are still working BJS?

Your work is great. One point, the car loads late, of course, it also depends on the speed of the internet, but you will get better if you add a loading progress