Blender 2.80 testing - The Start : Part1

Well I started playing with Blender 2.80 and @JCPalmer 's new exporter. So this is the first result after a couple of hours yesterday afternoon (still having a hard time with left and right click and changes to the “A” key - old memories die hard :open_mouth:)

Anyway just a simple example - 2 objects, 2 materials, a camera and a point light - the base scene with the added floor and materials. Result :slight_smile:

Blender Template 1

Now we have second example with the fixes to the exporter @JCPalmer made below. An animated cube:

Blender Template 2

Even more encouraged now!

The scene loads. Feeling encouraged , I charged on by adding a simple animation to the cube. And disaster struck. From the export log:

========= An error was encountered =========
File “C:\Users\Peter\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.80\scripts\addons\babylon_js\json_exporter.py”, line 159, in execute
self.to_json_file()
File “C:\Users\Peter\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.80\scripts\addons\babylon_js\json_exporter.py”, line 221, in to_json_file
mesh.to_json_file(file_handler)
File “C:\Users\Peter\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.80\scripts\addons\babylon_js\mesh.py”, line 638, in to_json_file
super().to_json_file(file_handler) # Animations
File “C:\Users\Peter\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.80\scripts\addons\babylon_js\f_curve_animatable.py”, line 94, in to_json_file
animation.to_scene_file(file_handler)
ERROR: ‘VectorAnimation’ object has no attribute ‘to_scene_file’
========= end of processing =========

I have no idea what that means. The animation was named “Cube-moveY”. Better brains than mine might understand it :relaxed:

cheers, gryff :smile:

Will fix later today, along with maybe something else

No rush Jeff - I’m just trying simple things at the moment - till I get into the “left click” habit :open_mouth: :slight_smile:

cheers, gryff :slight_smile:

To late, already done. Have not pushed yet though.

2 Likes

@JCPalmer : I got the new version of the exporter - dated Jan 7th and replaced the old version Same file to test and now I get this error:

========= An error was encountered =========
File “C:\Users\Peter\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.80\scripts\addons\babylon_js\json_exporter.py”, line 159, in execute
self.to_json_file()
File “C:\Users\Peter\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.80\scripts\addons\babylon_js\json_exporter.py”, line 221, in to_json_file
mesh.to_json_file(file_handler)
File “C:\Users\Peter\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.80\scripts\addons\babylon_js\mesh.py”, line 638, in to_json_file
super().to_json_file(file_handler) # Animations
File “C:\Users\Peter\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.80\scripts\addons\babylon_js\f_curve_animatable.py”, line 94, in to_json_file
animation.to_json_file(file_handler)
File “C:\Users\Peter\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.80\scripts\addons\babylon_js\animation.py”, line 127, in to_json_file
precision = bpy.context.scene.positionsPrecision if self.propertyInBabylon == ‘position’ else FLOAT_PRECISION_DEFAULT
ERROR: ‘Scene’ object has no attribute ‘positionsPrecision’
========= end of processing =========

When I look at Scene->World in the Properties Window the “Maximum Decimal Precision” value for “Positions /Shapekeys” is set to 4. Looking at the .babylon file I get with the crash, it outputs the rotation values - then goes down.

Just a change from scene.positionsPrecision to world.positionsPrecision do to move. Tomorrow morning.

Ok, this is changed. I do not use the BJS animation system much. Glad you decided on a test which went thru this code path. This last one occurred while actually writing the file out, so not too much after that. I eyeballed the rest.

Also, I added a versioning of beta in the titles, to avoid relying on file dates. We are now at version 6.0-beta 3.

@JCPalmer : Way To Go Jeff!! See it here:

Animated Cube - Blender 2.8

Have to think about where to wander next :open_mouth::smile:

It kind of bothers me that Blender 2.8 is still in a beta version - it must be hard for you, as any fixes you make to the Blender Exporter could break within a month. I just hope I’m not pulling you away from more important issues that you are dealing with.

1 Like

On the contrary, anything you do to test / break things saves me the time of doing it. I like to think that my new design is pretty solid, so your issues may be be small. Even if not, at least I did not have to everything myself, then no one tries anything till I have moved on, making it a pain.

Am in planning for a possible project on Magic Leap / WebXR. Applied for a Magic Leap Independent Developer Grant, which also includes hardware & 1 on 1 guidance. Doing studying, finishing Kinect stuff for MH. These are interruptible. If I end up with a grant (out of 6000 applications), my time will be very scarce for anything not directly contributing.

Good luck with the grant. It looks like an interesting idea. I will wander the Magic Leap site some more later today.

Looking forward to what you might create. Oh, and you know where I am :slight_smile:

In the meantime, I will keep “poking the bear” and see what I find with the exporter. Is it OK for me to show demo on the Blender 2.80 forum, or would you rather wait till closer to the final release of Blender 2.80?

cheers, gryff

No problem. They’re forum looks exactly like ours. Maybe you could include the actual iframe scene (ask @Wingnut / look at his chronicles topic), I think. If doing, that maybe switch to an arcrotate camera.

One thing I found with the track to target constraint is its no longer added with crtl-T. When adding from constraints tab, there are all these dimensions to pick from. It does not matter for export.

Forum search for iframe. :slight_smile: (Wingy points to Jeff’s shirt tail, where Wingy stapled a searcher.) :slight_smile:

I love when you refer to yourself in 3rd person / avatar.:grin:

1 Like