BrowserGame: Babylon.js or Unity?

Hello everyone,

Regarding the performances, what is the best solution to develop an online third person shooter game for the web?

I can’t find any recent comparison between Babylon.js and Unity regarding the performances. Babylon.js supports now WebGPU and has a plugin for Havoc engine. I read Unity is adding support for WebGPU soon. I’m new in web game development so I’m a bit lost… :frowning:

Hello!

Well, the answer you’ll get here is probably different than the answer that you’ll get on an Unity forum :stuck_out_tongue: I’m not sure how is Unity’s WebGPU support going these days, but I can say we’re committed to always give the latest support to it :slight_smile: And yeah, Havok is an awesome engine :smiley: Using both is a good way of getting a lot of performance out of your game. Through, WebGPU support is pretty recent, so keeping in mind some users might have out of date browsers and you might want to fallback to WebGL (which is super easy in Babylon anyway).

Another thing to keep in mind with browser games is size, it can be a big difference between the engines since Unity has to have the runtime and that can add up to a lot of extra size for your game. And Babylon can take advantage of tree-shaking ( Babylon.js ES6 support with Tree Shaking | Babylon.js Documentation (babylonjs.com)) to reduce package size even further. @RaananW is working hard at improving our package organization so that tree shaking can be taken even further :slight_smile:

Hope this helps you somewhat and if you have any more questions feel free to ask!

5 Likes

Thanks for you answer Carol. :slight_smile: