Calling all High School Teachers!

Hello everyone! Very new computer science teacher here looking to shake things up a bit for my courses and offer opportunities for students to create interactive media using babylon.js. I have not delved into tutorials or documentation yet, but something I plan on doing this summer. Are there any high school educators out there teaching this 3D engine? Any tips, syllabus, or tutorials you can share? Looking forward to connecting!

8 Likes

This is an amazing topic and I remember there are a few teachers in the community and I hope to see a great discussion here :slight_smile:

@PirateJC I bet you ll love this thread

2 Likes

Hey @mrawhite!

First and foremost, as we like to say around here, welcome to the Babylon family!

It’s sincerely fantastic to have you here!

Teaching Babylon is a HUGE passion around here.

You can check out some amazing videos from @Deltakosh, @PatrickRyan and many others around here on the Babylon Youtube channel. Lots of good stuff on there.

There’s also some good course type material in the docs here:

Also @drburton is using Babylon to teach CS if I recall correctly, so he would also be a great contact to connect with and learn from.

Please don’t hesitate to let us know how we can help! Super pumped for what you’re embarking on!

3 Likes

Hello and welcome to the community! You’re definitely in the right place to talk about teaching Babylon and 3D graphics, this is a very passionate team and community :joy:

I haven’t done a Babylon course yet, but I’ve taught a Unity and a Three.js course, so if you wanna discuss anything just let me know!

2 Likes

@mrawhite : Welcome to the Babylon Forum. It is a very helpful place.

Now I’m not a very good coder but remember that game creation in big studios involves more than just coders - also includes 3d modellers, graphic artists, animators, music talent, story creators.

If I have one thing to recommend to you, make sure that your students understand it is a team effort. And there is lots of free software - Blender (for modelling and animation), GIMP for graphic artists and Audacity (for sound and music) - along of course with Babylon.Js for building the games.

Welcome again, and stay safe, gryff :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@mrawhite : I see that @PirateJC mentioned videos by “many others around here”. I would add @PirateJC himself. His “The Tech Artist’s Journey” is just the latest in his fascinating videos that shows the integration of coding and 3D modelling.

Stay Safe, gryff :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thank you @gryff @carolhmj @PirateJC @sebavan for all your suggestions! I’m not quite ready for the big time yet, so much to learn. It would be great to get a better grasp at some point and then create some modules or units on babylon.js for other high school CS teachers to use. Some day! Thanks for all the suggestions, I have much to learn!

4 Likes