Commercial Code Questions

Hi all,

I want to build my commercial project using BabylonJS and have questions.

1. Is BabylonJS open-source? Can I use it for free for my commercial application?

2. What about playgrounds I find on BabylonJS’s website? Could I use those for free in my commercial application? If I modify them, can I use them in my commercial application?

3. What about playgrounds that are linked directly from BabylonJS’s tutorials? None of these playgrounds from the tutorials have people I could attribute credit to.

Thank you for the help!

1 Like
  1. Babylon is licensed under the Apache 2.0 License, which allows commercial use, see: Babylon.js/license.md at master · BabylonJS/Babylon.js · GitHub

2. and 3) could be problematic. I’m not a lawyer so I can’t give you any legal advice on that.
    But here is what I personally would and would not do(What you do is solely your decision):

I would not sell a packaged collection of playground samples as these are primarily other peoples work.
I do however get inspiration from them and might copy some lines into my project as I do from stack overflow etc. I do however still adapt these for my special use case and they do only make a small part of my project, the huge majority is still my own work.

Aside from that, I think requiring playground authors to release their code under some permissive license would be nice @trevordev @Deltakosh

2 Likes

You can do whatever you want with playground examples and babylonjs :slight_smile:
It is under apache 2 license which is extremely permissive

Totally OK to use it with any commercial product.

We only hope that you can be kind enough to credit Babylon.js or anyone here who helped you

1 Like

Thank you both for your responses! I am new at programming like this so I wanted to make sure that I am doing things the right way.

I’ll take your advice, mauricedoepke, to not copy the playgrounds, but use them to learn how to make things and maybe copy a few lines like stack overflow, with the huge majority of my project work being my own.

And thank you, Deltakosh, for letting me know! I’ll definitely credit Babylon.js and anyone who helped me!

Thank you both for your help!

1 Like