Dont Use Brave!

So something in one of the latest update to Brave has cause BJS to act extremally volatile. You can load a scene and it will be hit or miss on if it even propagates, then if you do any sort of intensive asset parsing it is very unpredictable on if it will actually resolve or not.

This was confirmed by one of my peers on a completely different project with no shared codebase.

If you are struggling right now with BJS stuff and are using Brave, switch browsers.

cc @RaananW in case he is sometimes playing with Brave and @Pryme8, did you created an issue there ?

I am using brave on mobile (almost exclusively, except for webxr stuff) and haven’t experienced any issue. but i’ll pay attention (and check if i am fully updated :-))

If you can confirm on your end or not that will help quite a bit. If it turns out that its not happening to you, Ill uninstall brave entirely and reinstall to see if that fixes it and request that my peer who is experience the same issues do the same.

Its seeming to be directly related to assetContainers and fileTools parsing blobs and animation parsing.

i just ran a scene with animations. But if you have a playground you want me to check let me know.

Did you parse the animations out from a gltf? Also its not every time, its really unpredictable.

If you say yes then I’m doing the uninstall route and will post updates from there.

For a bit more context - i am using brave 1.48.160 on Android 12

Yes, I loaded the animations from a glTF (a playground we have). I’ll continue testing

Perfect thank you, Ill post more after a fresh reinstall of Brave.

I’m still having issues with it even after a fresh install. Really confused at this point.

what version of brave are you working with?
wcan you share a flaky playground?

Its every playground, it essentially will be hit or miss if the context even binds.

o_O, that’s wild more are not having this issue.

Thanks for posting that you were having issues with Brave. I just encountered it and thought I had done something horrific with my shaders. Babylon works for a few runs, then barfs during shader compilation and tries to fall back with limited success. I tried rolling back the Nvidia driver (running version 455 on Ubuntu 22.04). After a reboot, it repeated the pattern: a few normal sessions, then failing. It effects shader compilation, rendering and even instanced container animations.

I’m pretty sure it’s Brave because Code’s “Simple Browser” works just fine.

I hate to give up Brave, I really like it. If someone knows of a fix, please let me know!

1 Like

Heya! One of my users is reporting similar problems with Brave, where the scene renders only partially. The issue seems to happen randomly (it could be fine or fail to render), and there are no errors or warnings in the console.

@Pryme8 @Keslinger, did you get around this issue? Could you indicate also which OS you’re on, it seems to happen also on Chrome but only for Linux Mint and Android 13. I’m quite puzzled by this.

@sebavan a quick related question:
Could there be any difference in rendering behavior for the same browser in different operating systems? E.g. Chrome on Linux Mint vs Chrome on Windows.

(sorry for tagging you specifically but not sure who would be a better person to ask)

My team just started getting this issue today as well (scene rendering only partially with no errors) but it’s not just brave, it was also Microsoft Edge on Android.

It should not, but the browser relies on the OS / drivers, and there could be bugs there. For eg, we already had some problems with code running on Linux, and the driver was the culprit.

It seems that Chrome version 120 is a bit buggy, we’ve seen a number of bugs recently after Chrome updates. Edge is probably in the same boat, as it uses the same code base. I hope it’s only temporary!

Unfortunately, I don’t have a solution for you. At some point after my posting I updated via apt and haven’t seen the issue since. It’s entirely possible it was something else (OS, video driver, etc).

FWIW, I’m currently running:
Brave 1.61.104
Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS
NVidia Driver 535.129.3 on a GTX 1070
BabylonJS 6.27.1

I think I’ve experienced the same, it started for me a couple of days ago.
When loading my scene, some meshes would not show (although they are there, both with renderoutline and in the scene hierarchy).
Everything seems to show after some time spent in the scene, and I’ve been able to semi-successfully to force meshes to show when toggling the disableLighting on the material (and it seems the bug specifically affects meshes where I disable lighting on the material, imported from GLB).
What’s weird is that my Babylon version had not changed when the bug started to occur.

It might be unrelated, but nevertheless I will leave the info here if relevant. (Still investigating)

(Babylon v6.29.1 & v6.34.0)
(Brave & chrome)
(Arch Linux)