Helping others on the forum 101

It is a project on GitHub. which is used to collect many playground addresses with names and brief descriptions.

sorry :< don’t recall posting that

1 Like

Fair enough, I probably shouldn’t assume that much ! But from my experience and a few others, I’d think the way computer programming is taught (put aside the lovable self-taught nerds who learn everything on their own ^^ ) has evolved over the years from a sciences-oriented way towards a multimedia-oriented way, to prioritize productivity over understanding.

I guess maths is not a must know when starting babylon.js , but depending on what you wanna do, trigonometry and linear algebra can be unavoidable. Of course there’s everything on the internet, but it’s not always well made, and some
are struggling more than others.

I Iove the idea ! Playground are most useful but it’s not always easy to find the one you need. I’d love to set up this project if we can’t find the existing repository anymore !

1 Like

Yes, Faber, I found it. From @Symbitic . It’s it

sry @saitogroup , I remember wrong.

1 Like

Exactly what I think.
A beginner will not know their question is a beginners question anyhow. And I know for certain that some people will never post in a category called “beginners lounge” or whatever.

First, I don’t think there are less “beginners” question, I just think they are answered very fast, or simply not asked because the documentation page or google (or the forum itself!) has the answer. This might be my optimism speaking though :slight_smile:

We do out best to accommodate everyone, from beginners to experts, and try to answer each and every question we are seeing on the forum. And I hope it will stay this way! I guess we need to ask ourselves how to make people as free as possible to ask questions from the moment they join this forum.

I guess the classic one-oh-one meaning - topic for beginners :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Entirely agree, creating “level tags” would raise other issues I think.

But addressing several starting points beginners might find themselves in, that could work. We know there is no such thing as “dumb questions”, but if someone asks what an array is, I think many people willing to help would not know how best to start answering, because the missing knowledge is so huge.
I’d like to avoid cases where the answer would be “look for javascript tutorials, it’s all over the internet”.

Thanks a bunch !

1 Like

@saitogroup I feel like many of the beginner questions must be getting answered by all the great docs and tools here. I’m an infrequent visitor, playing around, but I always seem to find what I need before needing to ask.

Your Glitch site looks interesting … you should add one-on-one teaching/mentoring there with some BJS templates.

2 Likes

I put this back on my main site: WebXR Contracting — △Ark

^ a tutoring/teaching/consulting page bc I’m thinking about whether or not I want to engage with that again

I used to do a lot of tutoring in creative code… but in p5js.

2 Likes

Well, my history on the old and the new fora has evolved. In the early days I would answer Blender questions, but with the arrival of the GLTF format the number of those questions has dropped. And the coding questions, seems that they are getting more specialized by the week.

Now I am a crap coder, so I can’t help with questions like that, and for my coding problems I just use the documentation and sometimes get script ideas from @PirateJC 's videos. and @JohnK 's “Getting Started” docs. I also used @Temechon’s book in the early days

I also use PGs which can be searched. One comment about PGs - I keep running into broken ones when I try to find PGs related to a topic I might be interested in. I find that annoying.

So, yes, I would like to see a "Novice/Beginner"section. Just my 2cents worth.

Stay Safe, gryff :slight_smile:

PS There is also this from the “WayBackMachine

2 Likes

You should definitely check out GUNjs:

https://gun.js.org/

It’s a decentralized graph database (no backend).

2 Likes