How to create a Particle Stretch Effect for Warp Speed

I’m trying to accomplish a “warp-speed” effect using a cylinder particle emitter. How would I go about making the particles stretch like this example: Entering Hyperspace Stock Video - Download Video Clip Now - iStock . I would like to be able to toggle the effect on and off, and stretch the particles if the speed is fast, and leave squares if they are small. Playground: https://playground.babylonjs.com/#EAZYXZ#1

Merry Christmas :wink: !

Click on the right part of the screen to give the focus to the display area then keep the space bar pressed to enter warp mode.

I didn’t find a clean way to do that, I had to override the Particle._inheritParticleInfoToSubEmitters method to be able to overwrite the angle property of each particle, which I set to the angle the particle has been emitted with (relatively to the center of the emission). Then, when you keep the space bar pressed, I raise the scaleX property to 10 to generate a thin rectangle that will have the right orientation thanks to the updated angle property.

6 Likes

I suppose it is also possible to create similar effect with SPS particles, where scaling is simpler (or “cleaner”).

Fantastic! Thank you very much :smile:

Anybody here played Asheron’s Call?

@Evgeni_Popov this was working a couple of days ago?

Select this babylon version 5.71.1:

1 Like

It still works for me, @ertugrulcetin what is not ok for you on latest ?

Now it works for me as well, I was getting error message at the bottom