Integrating a modern and maintained physics engine to Babylon.js

Any news or roadmap how things are going? :slight_smile: Is it going to be physx 5? :eyes:

Nop, no communication so far :slight_smile:

Hi All,

My take on physics from experience trying to make a game (I am not a professional js dev by any means).

As mentioned in previous posts they lack maintenance and compatibility. I dont think we get a holy grail anytime soon. People ending up extending/editing those libraries and the easiest for doing that are js libs like connon.
I dont really like the integrating/plugin idea for physics at all for more complicated stuff than a quick demo. For complicated project like game you end up using something like ECS where you want your physics to be a separate thing. For exchangeability I would maybe like just a very thin separate generic class maybe if anything really. I found using impostor just forced me to work on both impostor and the engine.

I kind of disagree with this, since I’ve been using ECS and Babylon physics/physics plugin (ammo) with my game project. Not “professional” per se as well but I’ve found the plugin usage very simple. In ECS I have a physics system that inserts/removes objects to physics world that are tagged with the Physics -component. Since my vision is that the ECS layer is just the main logic and ordering Babylon to do stuff, it is nice that the whole “game world” is bundled in Babylon and the “logic” is with the ECS.

My use case though is kind of simple; I just want to have all my small game world objects to be physics -based, so I can throw/kick them around :smiley: And my “game world” consists of other things as well… For example, navmesh navigation.

It is Havok woop woop!

2 Likes

I guess being under the roof of Microsoft has helped in this case :sweat_smile: