Maya Export, Rotation animation wrong

That is something we can change in the exporter but we will not change it in the runtime as we do not want to bloat the framework with dozens of different conventions (for perf and maintenance sake)

I agree with @Deltakosh, we should handle this at export, rather than change the engine to support this. I think if we can properly convert the Euler rotations to quaternion, we should be able to fix this.

I’m pretty close to a fix, I was able to get the converter to work with all 6 rotation orders, only issue is that when we ask Maya for the object’s rotation order, we always get XYZ…

Sounds great, whatever works :slight_smile:

Ok that’s weird. I know maya only returns values from 0-5 for all possible orders from transform nodes but this usually worked quite reliably. But I only use maya on a scripting level so my knowledge is very limited on writing plug-ins. Anyway looking forward to this! (xyz is the maya default anyway :wink: )

Ok, finally have a proper fix for your second issue:

Strangely enough using OpenMaya’s MTransformMatrix.rotateOrder always returns kXYZ, but using MEL to get the rotate order returns the proper ordering. Either way, the missing piece afterwards was to reverse our rotation ordering since we’re transforming the animation keyframe values between coordinate sysems.

Hopefully this should have everything behaving as expected.

1 Like

Patrick (shade0625) is on vacation he will report back in two weeks.

Works perfect now, thanks a lot!

2 Likes