New game - Tranquility

Greetings all:

Way back in the early 1990’s William Romanowski released a game for Silicon Graphics Computers named Tranquility.

A few years later I partnered with him to release Tranquility and TQworld for Mac and Windows, After a few years we discontinued the game servers.

Since then we have received constant emails asking to bring Tranquility back…

…so… I am pleased to announce that I have brought back a flavor of the original Tranquility written for SGI.

This is written in BabylonJS (my first attempt at anything in babylonJS). The levels are served from remote game servers,

Enjoy playing here: http://play-tq.com

PS: I’m looking for a way to integrate ads into the game (probably from the start screen). Any suggestions for a good ad network or any other advice would be appreciated!

15 Likes

This is good news.

I’m one of those emailers! :smile:

Every year or two I would have flashbacks to Tranquility and Google how I could play it after the Mac version stopped working with the end of support for 32-bit apps.

Today I was about to install and old OS just to play the demo levels. I was talking to a friend about it, who did a search and found this topic.

Many thanks and best regards to yourself and William.

1 Like

Glad you found it… enjoy!

Having played it, it feels quite different. Gravity is much stronger in this version which makes the whole thing very difficult, and levels don’t seem the same complexity. I looked at the level data and it’s very different to the original.

I’m wondering if this version is based on the original source code (a port) or not (remake)?

Reluctantly I’ll still choose to play the Windows version through Crossover on my Mac.

Thanks for the feedback. I’ll spend some time over the next few days and tweak it. I’ll reply here again when it’s ready for you to test drive.

Just been thinking about tranquility again.

How were the levels constructed in the original? I have some old level data here: https://github.com/gingerbeardman/tranquility-levels

Is there a reference document explaining what the data in the level files means? I’m thinking that it might make it easier to reproduce the original.

Happy to have found this new version of Tranquility. I miss it. So, many thanks !

However, yes, gravity is too strong, as gingerbeardman stated. It is a direct free fall to the bottom every time you miss a floating shape. In the original version there was some control over gravity, you could trigger a fall to hit your target. Here it seems as if that control is On by default.
Keep up the great work !

When you see how successful the online ISS docking simulator is, which requires the same kind of light touch in order to succeed, there could be a new future for Tranquility. :wink: