RELEASE.md with all changes

Hi!

I’ve been away for the summer and now when I get back to coding I see that there are a couple of new releases on github.

What I would like is that there would be a RELEASE.md file in the root that lists all bugfixes / changes that are coming in the release.

It would also be great if the github releases also contained the same information. There are a lot of tools to do this for us, so it should not be too hard to get this working and it would simplify knowing what has changed between versions.

What do you guys think?

Hi @Leon.
Like this?
https://doc.babylonjs.com/whats-new
Or do you want to have a list for latest version which is in alpha too?

The link you sent is good, but I cannot trace what code changes has implemented a feature, or what code changes fixed a bug.

It would be more helpful having a link to the github issue and the commit hash besides all the changes.

I really like angulars way of doing it

react also has a good way of solving the github releases

It’s easy to follow and if you want to do a deep dive to figure out how it was solved it’s right there.

1 Like

Basically you want links from commits into what’s new preview release that’s it?

'could be interesting, but it looks like a little time consuming? 'don’t know, core devs have to give their opinions about that.

I think a RELEASE.md file is the way to go.

That way people who look for the changes on github will find it straight away, since https://github.com/BabylonJS/Babylon.js/tree/master/dist/preview release/what's new.md isn’t the first place I would look for this file.

But adding the commits would be a good start if changing to RELEASE.md is not doable yet. :slight_smile:

If you volunteer to maintain it, I’m fine :slight_smile:
The what’s new file is here to track high level changes. We do not associate it with PR for now but that could be something to think about enforcing for next release (after 4.1)

Having to manually keep the file in sync would not work in the long run. :blush:

Being able to automate it would probably be the way to go using something like Introduction - semantic-release

It sounds good that you can look into it in the future, I just wanted to make you aware of the situation.
Keep up the good work :+1:

2 Likes

@Deltakosh, to be able to automate changelog, team has to commit to commit message rules(pun intended). Here is a doc to the rules, take a look and see if the team is going to like it. If they do, we can help with automating: angular/CONTRIBUTING.md at master · angular/angular · GitHub

Let me check with them :slight_smile:
But let’s assume we like it, how will it works?