Smoother TrailMesh

Hi! I’m using the TrailMesh Use TrailMesh - Babylon.js Documentation
for a trail following a racing drone thing, see gif below. (Sorry for the low quality)

mariodin

I would want it to follow in a smoother way when turning. As it looks a bit rigid now. I guess by having more segments in the trail mesh? Anyone have an idea on how to improve the look of it?

Thanks!

1 Like

It could be because the ship is moving pretty fast I guess and there is not inertia on the trail I wonder if you could rely on particles here instead. @PatrickRyan what do you think ?

Thanks! Yea i think you’re right. Due to how fast it’s moving and sliding it’s probably not the trail itselfs fault here.

1 Like

To me, it looks like the trail is rotating too much with the ship.

Have you thought about using particles?

@chribbe, in looking at your art style, I don’t know if particles are your answer. While @sebavan and @adam are right that they would certainly solve the problem, you currently have a very clean and flat art style which fits well with the trail mesh you have. Particles would definitely change the look and maybe not for the better.

I spoke with @Deltakosh about the possibility of having a control that sets the resolution of the trail mesh geometry, and he said he would take a look at it.

If, on the other hand, you do want to experiment with particle systems, please feel free to reach out to me with questions about the feature.

1 Like

Thanks for the help! Based on your input I think i might going with something even simpler, just a static cone after the ship with some animations on scale.

But if you get a way to up the resolution on the TrailMesh i’d be happy to test it out more for this!
@Deltakosh @PatrickRyan