Speed issue with Safari in iPadOS 15.3.1 and v5.0.0-rc.1

Hi! I found a big slow down with newest BabylonJS v5.0.0-rc.1 with iPad Pro 11 (2nd generation) | iPadOS 15.3.1. I took screenshots from one playground scene with Safari and here are the results. Is this already known issue?

does it happen on a specific playground, or in general with all of them?

Can I ask what engine is running on both? is it both webgl2?

Same speed issue happend with all playground scenes not just with specific scene. Both are also running with same WebGL2 engine - but with v5.0.0-rc.1 inspector says something specific “WebGL2 - Parellel shader co…”

I tested more and infact it seems to depend of playground scene - my bad. But with this simply scene is where I took screenshots from inspector. I wonder if it’s tied to that onDragObservable?

Are you manipulating the scene during your tests ? or just rendering ?

No, these values are shown when I just open the scene and inspector. I uploaded screencast videos here.

v5.0.0-rc.1:

v4.2.1:

Seems to be related to the use of UBOs in the boundingBoxRenderer.

You can try to disable bounding boxes to see if it works better ?

1 Like

You seems to be right! :ok_hand: I disabled all the bounding boxes and now there is no fps drops with v5.0.0-rc.1.

2 Likes

Thanks for figuring this out, I ran into the same issue and hadn’t gotten to the root of the problem yet. The performance tanks pretty bad on complex scenes.

Quick question are you using often bounding box renderer outside debugging but as an application feature for your users ?

Don’t know who this is directed to but I’m using it when things are loaded to center the camera pivot, after that it’s not being used again and could effectively be off. I would be fine just computing it when needed rather than all the time.

In fact, I haven’t yet. But right now I’m working with a kitchen configurator where I was thinking of using a bounding box to view the currently selected object. Are they designed to be used primarily for debugging only?

Not Necessarily, was mostly probing about usage as I only use them in debug, and trying to think about a more efficient solution in case it is used as more than a debug feature.

Hi @Jukka, just checking in here, have you updated to our latest version yet? Are you still seeing slowdowns? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @carolhmj and thank you for the reminder! :blush: I just tested the example scene with BabylonJS v5.1.0 and speed issues with bouding box seems to be there still. I’m using iPadOS version is 15.4.1. @sebavan did you get any idea for fixing this?! :face_with_monocle:

Still looking into it but I think I found smthg I ll try to have it tomorrow.

This will be fixed by Add support for Iridescence in PBR and GLTF by sebavan · Pull Request #12365 · BabylonJS/Babylon.js · GitHub or at least it will come back to what it was :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks @sebavan !!! :+1::gem: