Texture with text content, AA vs no-AA

Hi there!

On our platform bublr.co, we have dynamic walls where we can upload images. A client is asking to have sharper images, in particular for excel sheets with a lot of text.
We are currently using babylon version 4 (and hopefully having version 5 ready before may 5!) and we use the default settings. With anti-aliasing, the text is too smoothen, without we can read well, but the overall 3D is not as sexy.
Any advice on how to improve that?

Thank you!

I believe you tried with:
enableSpecularAntiAliasing;
forceIrradianceInFragment;

I haven’t tried on a text texture, but may be it can help (assuming the material is PBR)?

Edit: Just thinking of it. May be with a two cameras approach and imageProcessing (I did this before and it works). Might be just a bit too messy for your project, adding a second camera for just pp fx on some faen excel sheet (excel is ugly anyways :wink:. May be @sebavan, @Evgeni_Popov or @Cedric know of something better. I’m gonna bookmark anyways since this is an interesting question.

You can try setting a nearest filtering method on the texture, something like:

texture.updateSamplingMode(BABYLON.Constants.TEXTURE_NEAREST_SAMPLINGMODE)
4 Likes

After testing all the modes, NEAREST_LINEAR is the most convincing for reading small characters.

NEAREST_SAMPLINGMODE 1
NEAREST_NEAREST_MIPNEAREST 4
NEAREST_NEAREST_MIPLINEAR 8
NEAREST_LINEAR_MIPNEAREST 5
NEAREST_LINEAR_MIPLINEAR 6
NEAREST_LINEAR 7
LINEAR_NEAREST_MIPNEAREST 9
LINEAR_NEAREST_MIPLINEAR 10
LINEAR_NEAREST 12
LINEAR_LINEAR_MIPNEAREST 11
LINEAR_LINEAR_MIPLINEAR 3
LINEAR_LINEAR 2

1 Like

Thanks for letting us know about your findings on this. That sure can be useful (and I bookmarked it already).
Have a great day :sunglasses: