Ultimate Babylon Toy

It is amazing what you can do with only VanillaJS using Babylon.js, Web Bluetooth and Firebase (why doesn’t everyone just use JavaScript… :grin:). Have been messing around with a project for a while: “Lego” Blocks that show up on the screen/a 3D Sculpting Display.

Been a very rewarding way of trying to learn how to use Babylon/JavaScript - I suppose the basic nature of the system shifts focus away from polished/complex graphics, controller inputs etc.

Sadly you can’t do that much with the app w/o having the hardware. :neutral_face: The help button in the right down corner of the app will bring up YouTube clips to explain the different games.

https://bilo.online/

If anyone finds the stuff interesting, send me a message, we have a couple of prototypes laying around.

Cheers,
Erik

13 Likes

Btw, if it isn’t obvious, would be very grateful for any feedback/criticism. Bilo.online doesn’t work for you? You have suggestions on how to improve etc….

Thanks!

1 Like

Excellent!
Now we can add that real ‘solid touch feeling’ to our virtual BabylonJS projects :slight_smile:
Wonderful inspiration!

If only I could find a way to connect this wired-USB cab driver toy thingee:
…to my GeekTrains :nerd_face::steam_locomotive: BabylonJS project.

Q

2 Likes

You could use these blocks as a intuitive 3D modeling tool. Just build and export your physical creation as STl. and print them useing the 3D print tool found under settings at bilo.online.

2 Likes

Thanks Q,

Awesome (geek)train simulator you have there. I suppose you actually can connect that monster, WebUSB seems to be a thing… everything is possible on the interweb :sunglasses:

Cheers,
Erik

2 Likes

Here’s a demo that shows the block’s ability to perform different functions based on their orientation when placed on the base. Here the block is used as a manual color selector. When the block is placed on the colored zone a color is selected depending on its orientation.

2 Likes

Definitely a really great toy!!!

1 Like

Thanks for the kind words. It has lots of potential. Our content is super simple currently. Anyone interested please don’t be shy and send Gurka a message and we will happy to get it your hands.

1 Like

We have some updated software to show off :grinning. We made what we are calling "advanced free build. This new tool lets us create more complex objects with a small number of physical blocks.

Here’s a link to the build page if you want to poke around: bilo

3 Likes

I’m initially critical of the name but that is for sure Lego 2.0 i would like to see the technic blocks.

I wonder how the blocks respond to endless hapless play.
I wonder when mojang@minecraft’s Lego deal expires XD

Not to mention the manufacturability of creations, very impressive. [A step closer to the 3d printer printing a 3d printer paradox/apocalypse :]

The spatial familiarity to be garnered, alone qualifies this. A generation immune to gimbal lock. Those for whom a quaternion is no more remarkable than an unsigned integer.

The conceptual “zero” included only as a definitive courtesy. Unremarkable if not for it’s place standing on edge between reason and insane malarky, a chaotic intrusion towards otherwise variable sanity.

An inferred definitive at odds. “1” is as whole as “0” is devoid. Okay reasonably assumed. Carry on.

I accept your ones and zeros as my own.
Soz had to work that out. If you can have zero you can have i^2=-1

From there only imagination can limit mathematics, and I love a good imagination.

If c squared is basically infinity it might as well be -1

So any stray energy is more than no energy? One square root of one energy is the least palpable amount of energy?

Inverse square synergy

A lot to say I think this project is cool.

2 Likes

Here 's a video quick video Ii made that shows the interaction of the physical blocks with our advanced free build software.

https://youtu.be/wGTL4KnqFwA

This all pretty raw at this point but it’s fun to show you guys and get feedback!

:smile:

Thanks for the feedback and the comments! It’s really appreciated, the comments give us some hope that we are not creating something that no one is interested in :smiley_cat:. Yeah, the name might not be the best… the origin of the Bilo name comes from the word bilocation.

1 Like