Updated to 0.5.3.1: 'Project Chair' - Sketching a 3D Commerce XP in 60h

Here is the link to the demo:

‘media-geneva.ch/demos/bjs/chair/project-chair-alpha.html’

The demo will receive regular small updates and has some known issues:

• the fontawesome webkit (used temporary) weirdly does not display on first load. You need to pass over the icons or else reload/cache the scene. Not sure what this is, I will investigate and may be make a post.
  • Some inapropriate results can occur with reflection textures on clones of the chair. This part is simply not finished yet. It will be in the next update.
  • Currently there is no indication of keybindings. You can use SPACEBAR to show/hide the menu, [I] for the information panel and [Q] to toggle the environment.
  • The mobile version will be served later. It was working until lately but something must have happened. I will investigate. By any means, the mobile version will receive an alternate version of the GUI (reorganized, better adapted to mobile and without post-processing on it).

*** Original post announcing the project below ***

Dear BJS Community,
I’m happy to announce the upcoming release of my second BJS demo - This time focusing on creating/sketching a 3D Commerce experience.

It might be worth mentioning here that (same as others), I have mostly failed to convince my clients to deliver a ‘true’ 3D Commerce experience and this, for over a decade. I have failed with Unity in 2009 with a 3D Marketplace project for Team Alinghi; I have failed (with Unity again) in 2013-14 for BRP and overall I did fail many other times before that with a variety of technologies and a number of clients. It’s no secret that, since over a generation (15 years), we had at our disposal the technology(ies) to make a (fairly good) 3D representation of a product in the Internet . But let’s face it, how many of our favorite brands are making good use of this potential advantage today?… Like many of us, creatives, nerds, digital natives or simply gamers, I started by assuming that my clients where simply stupid not to understand the power that lies behind ‘a digital product’ and a ‘digital relation’. But then, failure after failure, I began to think: May be we cannot ‘force deliver’ a digital culture to a client? May be we would need to educate/inspire/orientate first and then let it grow? May be we should somehow give this ability to our clients to try and sketch the experience first, before committing? And then, there is this other thing: We have to remember that today, in 2021, over a third of the consumers in Europe or NA(i.e.) struggle with simply sending an email. One cannot imagine implementing a complex purchasing (or even supporting) process and solution without accounting this fact.

So, given all the above, I decided to act differently for once. I decided to create ‘Project Chair’ on the side. An original and simple demo and UI that can may be serve as a base for thinking and for trying concepts, methods, interactions and visuals. I will eventually write more about the ‘case-study’ aspect of the project, if there’s an interest.

For this announcement and demo, I’m going to cut this short: I know I have stated a number of times in this forum that the BJS GUI can be cumbersome to use. I will not take this back. It is in a way and in the first place. But then, once you get a better feeling of it, I think I can state here that the BJS GUI has clearly become my best companion for quickly sketching a UI (or Human2Digital interaction as i use to call it:). Never again will I first sketch in Photoshop, Invision or any other (or even HTML/Css). Not if I have BJS at my side.

7 Likes

The screenshots look great. Do you have a demo published somewhere to play around with?

As far as representing digital products in 3D I found a pretty cool example the other day. The spinning cups of noodles make me so hungry (this isn’t a BJS example afaik just a neat example)

3 Likes

Very nice…I love those sketchy environments. How do you achieve that? Is that like mesh with alpha and baked textures? (If I may ask :D)

I would also be interested to hear about case-study. I am kinda in similar area, and I am trying to figure out how to bring these experiences to people as well. But I think we need few more years. Once it gets momentum though, the internet will become a weird place. We are dooomeed :smiley: But at least, we are creating that era.

Good luck in your future work man. :pray:

The Internet is already weird enough for me. I’d rather have a more ‘trustable’ Internet in the future.

As for the demo (and thanks for your nice comments), It will be available later today (in its very much unfinished state;) . Please stay tuned:)

Thank you, as I said, if there is an interest I will be gladly sharing my experience, but may be more importantly, I would make the effort to open a side thread to have people share their own and confront ideas and solutions… I’m a poor community manager but if it can help our cause… will see…

1 Like

You may ask anything about this project. This is a sketch and a case-study. No secrecy here:)
There are no baked textures (or materials) outside BJS. All materials are in BJS. In fact all you’d need to redo this sketch is a text editor and an image editor (in my case photoshop). For now, Models are in .obj worked with C4D (though later on the table objects to come will be in blender format (best buddy for BJS;) but truly it could be any other).

Edit: Reading your question again. I might not have answered it correctly. There is no baking of the scene (or mirror-like texture). Using a 3-point lights and having my scene objects mostly separated from other scene objects (mostly because I want to let the consumer the ability to focus on the product at all times), also creates the advantage that one would not notice that all of the actual scene objects do not show in the (metallic or glass) reflection/refraction textures. You might also find that I have lowered the overall reflection/reflectivity effect on the model materials. Again a design choice, because I want the consumer to be able to see the model (not the effects). I believe the action/in-situ or studio pictures will remain better in this aspect, for a time. Overall the sketch/project is thought as a sort of replacement for something like a ‘product sheet’ or a ‘product tour’.

Very cool design. I love this b&w animated drawings design from the video.
Sadly the other parts of the website, don’t really make me feel like I would want to eat one of those. They look more like they would have old military supplies on sales;)

Note to myself: Consistency, Consistency, Consistency… the 3 pillars of a customer experience:)

I’m not sure we’re looking at the same thing. I can’t find that part of the site so maybe it’s a region thing, this is what I see:

yeah, it’s likely to be a region thing. I must be served with ‘old’ intl version here in Switzerland.
Probably a budget or timing issue of some sort… I will later on relocate to try n see what you see… right now (sry) I’m trying to focus on my release… will come back. Cya and have a great day,

Clearly a region thing. The ‘new’ site (the jp site) looks really cool and yes, these noodle cups look really great. I wonder if you can see this ‘samurai video’ I was speaking of. May be with this link in private nav

or you would need to switch your IP for Intl.

The demo has been updated this morning to v0.5.3 with a fix to the viewing issues that occurred on the launch. I’d like to apologize here to those who had this bug on the first release. I hope it will be all fine now for everyone (on desktop). Mobile is still WIP.

This small update includes a new settings panel and key bindings info panel.

I’d still need to understand why my fa webkit takes ages to load and would not display without moving over the icon.

The latest update includes a quick fix for higher resolution monitors.
My apologies to those with a 4k monitor who where not able to see the GUI due to some leftovers from the work on the mobile version (to come shortly).
Please do not hesitate to share any issue. I gladly take and appreciate your comments.
Have an awesome end of WE,

1 Like