WebGPU and VR/AR/Metaverse/ecommerce applications

Hello, I’m a VR developer and just launched a web design agency. I’ve been researching webGPU. I think it may solve many of the performance issues and limitations I’ve encountered with webGL. We are looking to incorporate more lifelike VR scenes on our websites especially for ecommerce/Metaverse applications. I’ve been using Unity Engine but I’m hoping to see Unreal Engine 5 support webGPU because of thier nanite technology.

I realize webGPU is still inferior to native GPU rendering, but I was wondering if anyone has an idea about how hard I can push webGPU before getting major performance issues? Any information or estimates on poly counts, frame rates, ray tracing, post processing capabilities, vr performance etc would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Hi @Ty_Carton and welcome to the forum.

It highly depends on your GPU, shader complexity,…Maybe @Evgeni_Popov has some insights.

In Babylon.js, you can get better performance, depending on your scene, by using snapshot rendering or fast path mode.

A major improvement in WebGPU is the support for compute shaders, which does not exist in WebGL2. If you are able to take advantage of this, it could make a big difference.

Note that ray tracing may come to WebGPU someday, but not in the short term (or even medium term) and that WebXR is not yet supported.

2 Likes