When displaying SheenCloth.gltf in WebGPUEngine, the pattern may be wrong

I tried to view SheenCloth.gltf using Chrome Canary 89 and Babylon.js v5.0.0 alpha2.
However, there are times when the displayed pattern is strange.

correct case:

wrong case:

I’ll try it with the same test code, but the results will be different each time the page is reloaded, so timing may be the cause.

Could not repro this after 15+ reload of the page…

Hmm, maybe it depends on the GPU. It did not reproduce on another desktop PC.
In the Windows 10 (BootCamp) environment on my MacBook Air, the problem occurred about once every two times.

OK) Desktop PC + Windows 10 + Chrome Canary + GeForce GTX 660
NG) MacBook Air + Windows 10(BootCamp) + Chrome Canary + Intel UHD Graphics 617

I don’t know if this is the same problem as SheenCloth, but I found a strange pattern in the texture in Babylon.js Playground.
https://playground.babylonjs.com/#8MGKWK#25

WebGL2 mode:

WebGPU mode:

I also tried it in other environments. Since it works on GeForce GTX 660, it seems to be a GPU-dependent problem.

OK) Desktop PC + Windows 10 + Chrome Canary + GeForce GTX 660
NG) MacBook Air + Windows 10(BootCamp) + Chrome Canary + Intel UHD Graphics 617

This pattern is definitely strange. The PG does work for me on Windows.

The problem with WebGPU is that it is still not production ready yet, Chrome does not fully support it nor Babylon (the spec is not completed yet neither), so when there are problems it can be difficult to know the root cause of them…

Thanks for the confirmation.

I know that WebGPU specification development is a long way off. However, I can’t resist trying out new features, and Babylon.js is a progressive effort and I am eager to try out many of them.

BTW, I just wrote an article about using WebGPU in Babylon.js. Sorry, it’s in Japanese.

I hope it will be of interest to many people.

2 Likes

For reference, this issue seems to occur in samples other than Babylon.js.

2 Likes