Wrong albedo colors

Something wrong with colors or inspector. It shows different values

Interesting! I confirm I see it as well:

https://playground.babylonjs.com/#9YNAL7

@avin would you mind filing a bug in the repo for this please?

here it is Inpector shows different aldebo color · Issue #9868 · BabylonJS/Babylon.js · GitHub

1 Like

Looks linear/gamma related, there was another topic about it recently.
PBR colors are in a different color space than what the inspector displays

2 Likes

Yes, it is not a bug.

The PBR pipeline is expecting colors to be in linear space, so when you do mainMaterial.albedoColor = new BABYLON.Color3(0.5, 0.5, 0.5);, the color is in linear space.

In a color picker, however, the color is displayed in gamma space.

So, if the (0.5, 0.5, 0.5) above is a color you got from a color picker, it is in gamma space! As you should feed the PBR pipeline with colors in linear space, you should do mainMaterial.albedoColor = new BABYLON.Color3(0.5, 0.5, 0.5).toLinearSpace();

By doing so, you will see that the color picker of the inspector will show you a color of (128, 128, 128) that corresponds to (0.5, 0.5, 0.5).

5 Likes

Maybe I don’t understand something but the colors are different anyway - https://playground.babylonjs.com/#9YNAL7#2
Initial color #e50c0c = RGB 229 12 12
Inspector shows #e50b0b = RGB 229 11 11

That’s because the color picker of the inspector is doing a truncate instead of a round to display the decimal value:

The inspector is doing the conversion to int like in the last line in the screenshot above.

@Deltakosh Maybe we should do a Math.round(...) instead?

1 Like

I’m fine with it

1 Like

PR:

Erf, I just spend a couple of hours trying to figure out why my colors tweaked using the Inspector were not applied correctly once assigned in the albedoColor by code.

I think it could help to mention the linearSpace tips somewhere inside the color picker, what do you think?

[edit] or better, doing like Blender which shows the “right” color:

Adding @Deltakosh.

Good idea
Please create an issue for me :wink:

Here you have :slight_smile:

1 Like

Coming soon:

2 Likes