X back compat vintage hat

Is there any lite back-compat harness to be recommended?

Something to spit back at the full lib for elderly vintage WebGL-marooned platforms?

Does that even make sense to ask, probably not

cc @ryantrem is building one :wink:

Is this what you are looking for @withADoveInOneHand?
@babylonjs/lite-compat - npm

I was thinking about the opposite, a lite native build running on bjs9 :x
Maybe not in the cards like I said.

Hey, has anyone else encountered linux running WebGPU really poorly? It didn’t want to run at all until I flipped some browser dev option, then it runs, but bad. Missing some key browser driver apparently. I’ve only tested on an old laptop though, so I’m just wondering if newer computers have that problem on linux.

I have a dual graphics laptop running arch linux. It uses WebGPU with the discrete card by default, and performance was horrible, after changing to the nvidia gpu it got great! Had to install Vulkan and some other things I don’t really recall. I’m sure an AI bot would be helpful to know what to install.

Are you looking to be able to use the Babylon Lite APIs on a device/browser that only supports WebGL2 (not WebGPU)?

Yeah sorry, I have a Lite-first project, that I would like to ideally be able to run on WebGL2-only hardwares. So, not making an old project more capable, but making a new project backwards-compatible. I’m kindof in limbo XD. Lite is too fast not to embrace, but it’s painful to lose support ykwim.

Same situation here. We want to start a new commercial project and would like to use Babylon Lite for that. The problem ist the bad WebGPU support under Linux. It would be awesome if there would be a compat layer that makes it possible to use the Lite-API with WebGL. So basically the opposite of @babylonjs/lite-compat.
For now i think we have to use BabylonJS and need to migrate to Lite later if the compatibilty under Linux is better.

@sebavan

Same issue here. In my case, WebGPU performs poorly on some Android phones, whereas WebGL 2 runs smoothly.