Android, Chrome, WebXR: "The specified session configuration is not supported."

I’ve made good progress on converting my WebVR app to WebXR, thanks to help from @RaananW. I’ve run into another problem, though, that I can’t reproduce in the playground. My efforts to debug my code have also fallen short, so I thought I’d describe it in case anyone has any insight.

When I click on the XR goggles icon, the standard modal pops up asking me to authorize WebXR. But it then quickly disappears, and the goggles have the word “error” over them, like this:

The console looks like this:

But there are no specific details re. what aspect of the configuration is not supported.

Strangely, when I manage to authorize XR before the modal closes, it works fine on my phone despite the error.

When I do the same thing on the Oculus Quest, the authorize-XR popup also disappears shortly after opening, as it does on my phone. But there is no error in the console, and the word “error” doesn’t appear over the goggles. The XR button no longer works, though.

Any ideas what bug lurking in my code could case a problem like this? A long shot, but I figured it couldn’t hurt to ask. :slight_smile: Thanks.

Yeah, this is the most undocumented and unexplained error they could come up with. This means one of few issues - headset is not supported, user did not authorize, the mode/reference type you asked for is not supported and unknown errors. But it DOES mean your browser supports XR one way or the other.

I assue you are using immersive-vr . what reference space type are you using? local-floor?

Are you running code after this call? something that might attract the browser’s attention and close this dialog? This might be the issue at hand. The googles-button does not assume that you changed anything, so the “ERROR” text stays, even thou you might have changed something internally (or got the permissions really quick). If it enters VR mode, there is no error.

I would check what causes that. Feels like it is related.

Thanks so much for your ideas, @RaananW. They prompted me to look through my code to find something like what you described.

In case it helps others, I discovered I shouldn’t use window.history.pushState while waiting for the user to authorize XR. Ok to use it one in XR, I think, but it closes the authorize-XR dialog if it’s open and makes some browsers think the user has opted not to authorize.

Thanks again.

1 Like

I’m getting this same error whenever I try to enter into VR mode, in Chrome, with my Oculus Rift S attached.

I get it even when running the simplest example on the WebXR Demos and Examples page.

https://playground.babylonjs.com/pg/9K3MRA

Is anyone else able to see these example pages in their Rift via Chrome?

The rift is not officially supported.

There are flags in chrome://flags that might get it to work (the oculus vr support - should be on, sandbox mode, and openxr). Try a combination of those.

Thanks for the ideas… I checked all these on and still get the same error. I’ll keep investigating.

The oculus flag is under VR and not XR:

Rather confusing, but I can say that i got it to work eventually

Ohh, pardon. I have that enabled as well but had constrained my search results to “xr” in the screenshot.

So, is it possible that no one has ever yet successfully entered any v4.1 WebXR scene using a Rift S?

1 Like

I did with the rift, but they use the same core software.

Hmm ok, good intel. Will dig. Would love to contribute the fix if I find it.

It is not a fix, it is the browser’s configuration. It is the openXR and sandbox flags, after enabling the oculus one. Try a few combinations, one should work

Thanks! Got it! The trick is to enable “Oculus hardware support” and disable :XR device sanboxing".

2 Likes

I’ve come back to WebXR and now I can’t get Chrome on desktop to enter any WebXR session.

Using the simple example as a test:

Those old “flags” are gone. Is anyone able to use Chrome WebXR?

Android supports ar mode when arcore is installed (ar services by Google), and VR mode with daydream. I don’t use android for VR, but I know it should still work.

Edit - just checked:

Make sure Google VR/AR services are installed directly