Beginner questions (import from Blender,export,website)

Hello everyone, I’m a beginner and I’ve never ever done any 3D graphics before, so please be kind.
I needed to create a 3D scene for an escape-room game, a basic one: just a room with few items inside (clicking on the items, a window with a riddle pops-up) . I created it with Blender and exported it as .glb file. When I imported it to Babylon.js sandbox everything was ok. But now, what do I need to transform that into a game and put it in my website? Do I need Babylon editor or Babylon playground?
I tried to read Babylon guide but it was too tricky for me.
Thank you for your answers

You can download the Babylon playground directly from the playground and start working inside scene.
You can use VSCode and download the live server extension to check your code progress.
You will notice the section I’m mentioning, where you see the sphere being created.

Then you’ll have to work on 1 thing at a time and you can search the documentation as you go.

Don’t loose that Blender files. Your obj names there will be very important.
Also download the Blender to Babylon exporter.

Welcome to the forum !!!

@PirateJC has worked a lot on our documentation and it would be great to understand which part was overwhelming and/or missing for you ?

1 Like

Hey @Peach810,

First and foremost, welcome to the Babylon family!

We are sincerely happy to have you here!

3D is an exciting space to get into, but we TOTALLY understand how overwhelming it can be when you first dive into it. Around here we’ve definitely got a heart for “beginners,” so you’re definitely in the right place.

There are 3 main resources that you’ll want to consider checking out if you’re a beginner.

Docs - First and foremost, if you have not already done-so, please take a few minutes to carefully go through the “Your Journey Starts Here” section in the Babylon.js documentation. There are some VERY helpful tutorials in here that will help you get on you find your footing, from deploying your first web page directly from the playground (as @SamuelSousa suggested) to learning how to use the docs. This section is designed for the ABSOLUTE beginner to the most seasoned expert. It’s written to specifically onboard you to the world of Babylon.

YouTube Channel - Next up is the Babylon YouTube channel. https://www.youtube.com/@BabylonJSEngine/videos Ok so while I’m a little bias here, I think you’ll find that a LOT of the material covered by the tutorials on our YouTube channel are easy to follow step-by-step guides that should unlock a lot of the mysteries for you. Strongly encourage you to check these out.

Forum - Lastly is the one you’ve already discovered which is the forum! I am convinced that this is one of the most helpful communities on earth. There’s no judgement here, just a friendly place to help everyone learn. So you’re in the right place! To get the most help from the community I’ll offer you a pro-tip. Always use the Babylon.js Playaground. https://playground.babylonjs.com/ The playground is the go-to tool for sharing your code and asking questions. In fact we more or less encourage EVERYONE to only post questions with the playground. The Playground is free, easy-to-use, and highly shareable. You can save your work, (even if there’s something not working right) and share a generated link with the community. The community can then open the playground and help you troubleshoot.

I sincerely hope these resources will help you get started on your journey…and again, welcome to the Babylon Family!

2 Likes

I spent a full week on the documentation and went through the “Features” > “Introduction” chapter, it will give a good idea of what can be done but there a lot more that can be achieved as you can seen on the “Deep Dive”.

Thanks @PirateJC :slight_smile:

Hi and welcome to the Community,

I’d recommend you do that before using the Editor (my opinion only). It will provide you already with a code frame you can upload on your server after having edited the links to your assets.
From there you can start work your BJS interactions with code and learn to better understand the BJS approach and logic. For each type (mesh import and handling, materials, animation, UI,…) the doc provides a very comprehensive base of information and lots of samples and playgrounds to play, try, fail :wink: and try again. Once you get the logic from the PG, implement it in your scene.

Even though you state your game is ‘simple’, understand that no game is just that simple to make. It will take you a while to get to the result you want and you will likely come back here a number of times before it’s done. And you’re welcome, the forum users and the team will give you the insight and the answers you’re seeking (at least about 99.9% of the time :smile:

1 Like