Best languages for games

Hi guys, I have doubts, my question is, so far I’m developing games with Babylonjs, but I want to learn a “more” powerful language than Js for games, because the fact that a single thread makes bigger games impossible, what one of you recommend me?

c++ would be the most portable across the industry

2 Likes

As Seb mentioned, C++ is probably the most “powerful” language used around the industry, both to make frameworks by itself and also as part of Unreal Engine. It has quite a lot of new ideas compared to JS, especially with memory management (and static typing if you aren’t used to TypeScript), so don’t be discouraged if you don’t get it all in one go!
C# is also pretty widely used since it’s on Unity, but I haven’t used it as much so can’t comment much on it. The general syntax is similar to C++/Java through.

2 Likes

Here are some tips that I think web game development will be on par with native language used for game development

• compiling written c language algorithm into binary (you can see in the works of recast and ammo from bullet) running with incredible speed because binary!

• don’t forget webworker in case you wondering about multithread though it might still not be what you need atm

• and then there is beautiful Webgpu :heart_eyes:, future for creating possibly AA games on the web because it can access native gpu such as Vulkan, metal etc

Others might have some more they might want to add

Cheers

1 Like

I believe that at the moment one can recreate with Babylon.js as rendering engine almost any game which was released before 2005-2006 (approximately; DirectX 10 was released at late 2006), probably even with better graphics in most cases.
When browser vendors will open more GPU possibilities and improve some other things this date will be even more close to the current date.

The problem with threading on JS is its terrible memory model or lack thereof. The result is race conditions between threads unless data is passed back as Web workers do

1 Like

I am not sure is it in the interest of web browser providers to make web based apps as performant as the native stuff. I heard (lost the link to the article) that they even throttle down web apps intentionally. Reason is that its harder for them to make a cut on profits from web apps comparing to app stores for native apps.

1 Like

Anyway browser vendors will need to evolve further in order to sell more illusions to us :slight_smile: