Can't control dead solid particles

Hello everyone!

I have been trying to mimic the emitRate property of regular ParticleSystem for SolidParticleSystem and I have just a little issue with particles that are marked as not alive.

Basically it seems that their position/scale/color is reset and I can’t control it just like in this playground where there is a polygon on the center of the screen that only goes away when all particles are alive (take a few seconds):

I managed to get a fading effect using the scaling of the particle so that they start with a scale of 0 and also end up with a scale of 0 and I thought it would prevent dead particles showing up on the screen. Does someone have an idea on how to fix this?

1 Like

Hi there!

Indeed, dead particles have their computation skipped: Babylon.js/packages/dev/core/src/Particles/solidParticleSystem.ts at c0305ab05de601d955806b3c05c0d822079641da · BabylonJS/Babylon.js · GitHub
But invisible particles are computed at least once, so you could mark it as invisible: SPS Examples | Babylon.js Playground (babylonjs.com). Would that work for you?

2 Likes

That’s perfect thank you :heart:

I hadn’t noticed the particles were going the wrong way so just for the sake of closure here is the particle system with the right orientation haha

3 Likes