Casting light from Emissive Object

I’m working with some emission properties both with textures and just with standard colors and wanted to know if it’s possible to “cast” light from these emissive objects. I know in something like Unity you could only do that if objects were static and you had a hybrid lighting setup that involved baked lighting.

I was thinking of faking the effect by having a glow layer with the emissive object and just use a point light or something similar with the same color to cast the lighting. Is there a better way to approach this?

1 Like

To make sure I’m understanding correctly: you’re looking for an effect like this? Sphere casting light with glow | Babylon.js Playground (babylonjs.com)

Is this satisfactory? I can’t think of another approach off the top of my head. (That definitely doesn’t mean that one doesn’t exist! I just don’t know of any.)

2 Likes

Yes pretty much. So if I created a sphere that had an emission color, I would want to use that emissive color to cast lighting to actually look like a light. From that example, I can see that they added a point light to actually cast the lighting. I was just wondering if there was a way to cast lighting from a glowing object without any actual lights.

1 Like

nope, this would mostly require ray tracing to work well. The cheap version would be area light which is still expensive a lot :slight_smile: so we do not have support so far.

2 Likes

It is in the plans :slight_smile: - Add support for AreaLights · Issue #7866 · BabylonJS/Babylon.js · GitHub

2 Likes

Yup one of my oldest “I want to do it !!!” post image

1 Like

Great thanks for the info! I’ll just use the original plan of a point-light with emissive properties on the object to mimic the effect.

1 Like