Does babylon.js support udim texture?

the udim texture used in many models, Does babylon.js support udim texture?
i try to export models with udim texture from 3dsmax2023,but it don’t work

I am pretty sure no but adding @PatrickRyan who knows way more than me about creation tools.

@esau2, welcome to the Babylon.js community! Unfortunately, the answer on UDIMs is no. UDIMs are really useful in the VFX industry, but they have not been widely adopted in real-time rendering due to memory constraints. I did do an example of a UDIM approach using node material, but it is not much more performant than splitting your mesh into multiple materials. You do save on some draw calls, but unless you have split your mesh into many UDIMs, you may not see a huge savings in performance.

While you can certainly do your own implementation bringing in your mesh UVed outside of 0-1 space and apply a separate texture to each multiple of n to n+1 space with a custom shader or node material, there is nothing in the .babylon or .gltf specifications about UDIMs. However, both do support the UVing of your mesh outside 0-1 space, so you just need a shader on the other end to handle it correctly.

Thanks for your replay。Write custom shader is a good solution,but it takes more work and make our pipeline complex. UE support UDIM some years, so i think memory constraints should not be a problem now. UE used in VFX very widely for VirtualProduction. i think udim is a trend for high quality model show。 i hope babylon.js can support UDIM dircet!

You are correct that Unreal is supporting UDIMs because they are going after VFX solutions in film. However Babylon.js is limited by the single-threaded nature of browsers, though we have been pushing for browser support for multi-threading for years. We just don’t see browser support for multi-threading anytime in the near future. So we can’t say things like “Unreal supports X so we should” because we are talking about scenarios that are night and day. Unreal for VFX and high-end production can be run on very beefy machines tailor made for a resource heavy scene. Babylon.js has to be able to run on a feature phone or in any browser so we never know what kind of device will be displaying the engine. I’m not saying that we will never natively support UDIMs but we would likely need to see motion in the glTF community toward UDIM support before we would consider putting our limited resources on it. Authoring UDIMs in a DCC tool is easy, but getting it from the DCC tool to Babylon for the largest audience would need extensions to glTF. The only other potential path would be USD support, but that is not likely a near-term solution either until we hear a lot of call for it.

1 Like

If I can recall correctly Doom has one 16 GB UDIM texture per level for gfx cards with that much available VRAM… Insane…