Emissive vs lightmaps channels

Indeed, with the fix, the lightmap (in non shadowmap mode) and an emissive map is the same thing as they both simply add their contribution at the very end.

Maybe we will need to discuss with the team about a new mode for the lightmap where it would contribute only to the indirect diffuse lighting…

2 Likes

That would be VERY cool as over the last few days I’ve been struggling to get a lightmap that I baked in blender to work in my scene.

With a standard material I am able to set the emissive texture to be the lightmap and then update the lights in the scene (also exported from blender) to have a black diffuse contribution. This works very well as the diffuse lighting is baked into the scene but I also get highlights.

With a PBR material and environment lighting I have been unable to get the desired effect.
Using an emissive texture looks washed out as the .env environmentTexture adds diffuse light, which the light map already has baked in.
Using a lightmap as a shadowmap looks overly dark in the shadow areas as the diffuse contribution from the environment texture is not pure white.
Using an AO texture is very close, but the reflections look incorrect as they get removed depending on the angle of the viewport.

I’ll keep looking into it and may start a new topic after Christmas depending on my results.

1 Like

Yo @metafred … So @sebavan fixed the original lightmap with emissive coloring (without me patching the shader).

I also created a much leaner ambient light system. So now there is a much more performant Default Ambient Light system that uses just the scene ambient color as well as a Runtime Ambient Light system that uses an actual Hemispheric Light with all of it light features should you need Richer Ambient light at the cost of an actual runtime light

Here is screen shot of your scene with all these new lighting features that will be in my new Pro Toolkit.

Note: This shot has NO RUNTIME lights at all… All baked with emissive colors and the new default ambient coloring

5 Likes

Sure looks neat in this screenshot. GJ,