FPS performance between exported model with separated texture and embedded texture

Hi all,

I have tried to compare performance when loading glb models which have embedded textures and models which have separate texutres (in separate folders). and as a result, models with embedded textures are better than models with separate textures.

I’m really curious why did that happen?

Can you explain a bit more about how are you measuring and comparing the performance? I can imagine that the embedded textures model would be faster to load, as it would only need one load for everything, but once both models are ready, I’d expect them to have similar performance. Unless the texture size is different in the models, then, the one with smaller textures would have better performance.

1 Like

After further research, I found that models that have separate textures have glass objects, and models that have embedded textures don’t have glass objects. I speculate that the performance drops (based on the FPS) because there is a glass object, so is it true that glass can make performance decrease?

glass will incur overdraw which could be less performant on really tiny gpus but I would not think as much in a general case.

2 Likes

Does so many textures affect performance too? I’m sorry everyone, I can’t share the 3d model I mean because of the rules where I work

More textures definitely will affect performance too.

1 Like

Thank you all, for the answers. I got new knowledge :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sharing knowledge is wonderful isn’t it :smile:

2 Likes