Hand Tracking support for WebXR

I have reason to believe that hand tracking is now in WebXR and probably underneath in OpenXR. There is also a page that tests it.

https://cabanier.github.io/webxr-samples/immersive-hands.html

I do not have an Oculus, but saw that in 10.2 of their browser they have about:flags for it. Saw this on twitter

Comments seem to say it is pretty shaky, but does that is not a reason to start looking at it for support.

Integrating hand tracking is already planned and will probably be the next feature to be implemented for WebXR. I was 100% sure I created an issue for it, but I can’t seem to find it. So here is a new one - [XR] Implement Hand Tracking feature · Issue #8582 · BabylonJS/Babylon.js · GitHub

2 Likes

I also looked for another issue mentioning Hand-tracking but couldn’t find it. I added it as a list item in #6958 - WebXR Improvements so it is consolidated.

I see that hand tracking has been checked as completed.

Can you suggest a playground?

First, I think you are going to need BJS 5.0 alpha, even though it was on 4.2. The API for hand tracking changed a little after 4.2 was released, but a little is all it takes when it comes to APIs.

I think there are a couple of PG’s in the hand tracking Documentation. Do not think there is one for touching 3D buttons yet though. I made no PG’s, & am not happy right now with my current work to actually point someone to it.

If you searched out the docs, you would see some some key search functions to find others people PGs. Good hunting.

2 Likes

Thanks @JCPalmer . It is great to hear someone is pursuing the worthy feature.

WebXR Selected Features | Babylon.js Documentation

1 Like

You are not supposed to be off? :smiley:

1 Like

I am off! For another week. That’s why my answers are short :wink:

We are in a lockdown… Fun fun fun!

1 Like

Haha so yes doing some forum answers is probably funnier ;D

1 Like