How do you completely remove a mesh from your scene?

I’m trying to use the .dispose() method to get rid of a mesh that’s currently in the scene, and replace it with another. I first noticed an issue when I kept spamming my “import button” and my framerate dropped drastically. I logged scene.meshes to the console only to find that I had hundreds of meshes in my scene! Clearly I was only removing the visibility of the meshes. Right? What am I doing wrong?

Here is the relevant code:

// Get the button from our HTML

let button = document.getElementsByClassName("importButton")[0];

// Add event listener

button.onclick = async () => {
  // If the "Example" mesh exists, delete it, import a new mesh, then rename it.

if (scene.getMeshByName("Example")) {
    scene.getMeshByName("Example").dispose();
    const mesh1 = await BABYLON.SceneLoader.ImportMeshAsync(
      "",
      "/directory/",
      "name",
      scene
    );
    mesh1.meshes[0].name = "Example";

} else {

const mesh1 = await BABYLON.SceneLoader.ImportMeshAsync(
      "",
      "/directory/",
      "name",
      scene
    );
    mesh1.meshes[0].name = "Example";
  }
};

Yes, I eventually got the same. Same as you, in my scene, I’m replacing a mesh imported async with a new mesh. From what I figured, I sort of realized that the point is the mesh is not disposed before loading the new one. And then it just adds to it.
To counter this, I’m giving a name to the imported mesh (i.e. displaymesh). Then before importing the new mesh I use the ‘while’ method, checking through all meshes of that name in the scene (of course it induces a small delay) but with this, I’m now sure that I’m not accumulating meshes of ‘displaymesh’.
Something like this:

while(scene.meshes.length && scene.getMeshByName("displaymesh")) {
        scene.getMeshByName("displaymesh").dispose();
        //_modeldone = false;
    }
1 Like

The removal of the mesh from the scene list is done as part of the Mesh.dispose function, so I don’t see why it would still be there in your case…

Do you have a reproduction of the problem?

I would have (or at least I had before changing my script) but I can try find it again.
Though it was basically identical to the script above and really simple. An async function to import async and callind mesh.dispose() before it. I also tried to do a separate dispose only function clearly called before, but I still had the issue of meshes eventually accumulate. And when I say ‘eventually’, also means it didn’t happen everytime.

EDIT_ : Yeah, of course. Now that I’m testing it again, it works :grin: :grimacing:
I really don’t know what to say. I think at some point it was importing the model twice. I thought it might be because of the name being given to the parent after the promise but then I tried again and it did not nothing. Next, not understanding what happens, I closed the browser window and refreshed the PG and it was working fine again. Could there be some problem with the caching may be?

EDIT1: Sorry, I polluted the PG a little, adding parts that are not necessary a bit everywhere (in rage :grin:) just to make sure the model was not loading twice because of multiple keypresses or because my variable of _display was not going through. Of course, this is all useless stuff but I guess you got that part :grin:

1 Like