How to load the editor exported files to web server

HI Guys,

probably a noob question here. But after I have exported my project using the babylon.js desktop editor, are there any further steps that i need to do when uploading those files in to the server?
I am trying to run my project temporally using glitch.com but running in to multiple issues. Firstly, I cannot run the npm commands in glitch, therefore i had to install them using the package.json file. Then, the site complains that my project is missing a “Start”: command. I know this needs a server.js file to be in place. But since the exported files does not provide one, i am wondering what should I do here? Any help would be much appreciated.

You can refer to my project through this link…

pinging @julien-moreau

Hey @Reens!

That’s a good question. The Editor (both V3 and V4) just export basic web projects, based on a basic templates. This part (deploying on a server) is completely handled by the developer of the project. I don’t know glitch but if it needs a specific server.js file you’ll have to provide one by yourself :frowning: As you did for the start command, you’ll to provide all glitch specific features by yourself :frowning:

Basically, an Editor project is just a HTML file pointing to the JS files that will run your game/application. Any other usage of back-end, external libraries etc. will be done by the developer himself.

For your information, I’m about to release the version 4 of the Editor which is a massive rework.
You can download it here: BabylonJS Editor v4.0.0 beta · BabylonJS/Editor Wiki · GitHub
and follow the documentation still WIP here: Editor/doc.md at release/4.0.0 · BabylonJS/Editor · GitHub

The Editor V4 will provide the same kind of project (basic web project) except that it is using more modern tools to build you project (ES6 modules support and webpack).

Hope this will help you :slight_smile:
Don’t hesitate if you have any other question

Hi @julien-moreau,

Thank you so much for your answer. I apologize for my latency on getting back to this message. I ended up using the server.js example provided in the following tutorial and was able to get it working.

Also, thank you for the link for the new stuff you are working on! I will be sure to check it out!
Keep up the great work :slight_smile:

2 Likes