Mesh Stats .csv File

I have gotten a number of models from BlendSwap. They all required a lot of work in the area of materials, scaling, modifiers, & other stuff. This I performed by hand.

They are also massive. The # of vertices were: 27.8k, 402k, 733k, 939k, & 1,375k. These are way overkill. I just finished the 1,375k .blend & got it down to 11k with no real reduction in quality. These people have no care how over the top the vertex count is, so this is no surprise.

Starting on the next, the 402k, it had 109 meshes. I want to spend time working on the biggest meshes first, but which are they? The export log file notes the size of everything, but not in a format which can easily used for this purpose.

I just decided to write a separate file as part of the export to capture all measures of each mesh in a .CSV file. I load this into the spreadsheet program I use, sort descending by Position column, now I know where to work first.

This is actually in my own exporter (javascript generator), and the file is always written. Has anyone every wished this was in the published .bablyon exporter for Blender? I do not want to be copying over features that no one, but myself is going to use.

@JCPalmer : just noticed this. Currently, I’m using @Vinc3r 's Polycount plugin for getting the verts and tris in Blender 2.81 and 2.82. (See image below.)

I just click on the arrow to reverse the order

When I need more than the Blender counts, I just export the file then drop it into the sandbox to get more info. It would be nice to get that same kind of detail though in the Polycount addon . And I’m not sure why the “area” column is there.

As for Blendswap there are a lot old models there that would be a bit of a hassle getting into the new Blender. Mind you, I got a model this week - has 6.5 million vertices in Blender. Crashed my PC on first load.

cheers, gryff :slight_smile:

poycount01

1 Like

I also found use for the Uvs column. It might not be zero when there is no texture on any of the materials. I sort by it, and check each mesh to verify it is necessary. Probably could have exporter issue a warning.

Today, I could not understand why a mesh of 3 bolts had 3000 vertices. Inside each bolt was a string of 500 vertices. While it can take a while, & many many alt-clicks / dissolve edges, the end result is still better that building really good specimens from scratch.

Also, the stats of Blender is not always the same as exported, especially with modifiers on a mesh.

Yep I’ve in mind to allow more stats details but I first want to be able to get the “realtime engine” triangles number.
About the Area it’s here to help lightmap distribution.

About exporter functionnality if you’ve have already code it actually it can be a nice option to add I think.