PrePass: get accurate reflectance information

Hello,

In order to create new post processes, one may need reflectance information for each material whatever its type. For example, the ScreenSpacereflection post process can’t work on materials defined with metallic-roughness mode.

The Reflectivity PrePass is convenient but not sufficient for this purpose since it only renders the ORM texture in case of metallic-roughness materials instead of computing the corresponding reflectance values.

I already worked on it. I implemented a new PrePass that renders specularity of the material whatever its type. When the material is already defined according to the Specular-Glossiness model, it renders the specularity and the glossiness just as the Reflectivity PrePass. When the material is defined according to the Metallic-Roughness model, I translate it to the Specular-Glossiness model as explained in PBR Texture Conversion | Marmoset. Standard materials are also taken into account.
Thus, this new PrePass is material agnostic.

Hope this will help !

Link to my repository: GitHub - Mannns/Babylon.js: Babylon.js is a powerful, beautiful, simple, and open game and rendering engine packed into a friendly JavaScript framework.

This is very cool, thanks for your contribution! Would you be willing to open a pull request to the main repository? :smiley:

Yes! I opened a PR: Add new prepass to compute the specularity-glossiness map whatever the material type by Mannns · Pull Request #12523 · BabylonJS/Babylon.js · GitHub :smiley:

1 Like