Questions about .babylon file conventions

I am looking at:
https://doc.babylonjs.com/resources/file_format_map_(.babylon)#materials

Is there anywhere I can look that talks about doing .pbr mats through .babylon format or is that only supported by gltf/b stuff right now?

Also for some of the parameters in various sections I have noticed it will say can be omitted for somethings but then items like direction on a point light, can thing like that be omitted if I know the item would not use it?

Hey @Pryme8,

You can see: Start with Physically Based Rendering (PBR) - Babylon.js Documentation
the BabylonPBRMaterial (And BabylonPBRMetallicRoughness) materials share most of the same fields and values as the base BabylonMaterial. the .babylon format is for the most part a JSON serialization of the BabylonJS classes.

You can also omit any used or unused value, I believe that it will be populated with its default when deserialized.

Ok cool and then any idea with a spot light, how does the exponent equate to a spot light that uses a inner angle system istead?

I see the “innerAngle” on the spotLight.ts but it says that’s for gltf falloff mode. Is it something that I can leverage at any point as opposed to an exponent declaration?

UPDATE
Ahh nevermind found my answer.

Ok new question then back to the original point how do I convert a innerangle value to an exponent value and vice versa.

I don’t quite understand this question. They should be considered two completely unrelated factors, right? The inner angle represents where to start intensity falloff in the spotlight cone radius, while the exponent represents the rate of falloff, to my understanding.

I’ll try creating a playground to demonstrate, but I’m under the impression that there is no good conversion between these factors

That’s kinda what I figured. One is scaling one is like a falloff distance

1 Like