Roughness effect

Hey,
I’m trying to get a roughness effect, like textile, I’m close I think but I have no more ideas how I can improve it.
This is the desire look
I have the object and 4 lights. I hoped I can no more use envTexture and try to make it work from lights but with not too much succes :frowning:
The material has one occlusion map and one normal. (btw, occlusion map doesn’t apear in inspector). And I hope I can solve this without metalicroughness texture :yum:
I tried even to disableLight for material but still has some lightning on it, I think this come from envTexture.
pg: Babylon.js Playground
Any idea is welcome!

1 Like

With added base texture

You can also try to use PBRMaterial, it supports Occlusion textures.

Adding @PatrickRyan cause I suck at art and he is amazing at it :wink:

1 Like

@MarianG, I am not near a computer so I can’t make an example for you, but I can talk through options.

If you don’t want to use IBL for whatever reason, going the PBR route isn’t going to be the right one for you. The reason is that roughness is rendered by how sharp or soft the reflections of the environment is in your material. If you are only using punctual lights, you are missing a big component of PBR.

I would suggest going with a standard material and authoring your textures with a standard blinn/phong spec-gloss material. The speculat color determines how much light hits the material and the gloss determines how broad the bounced reflection is. Sharp reflections will feel wet or glossy. Broad reflections will feel matte.

You could also dive into the Node Material Editor and build out a custom shader to do cloth the way you want. Let’s say you don’t want PBR, but still want sheen, the NME is the way to go and author the shader you want.

Hope this helps but let me know if you have questions.

1 Like

Hi guys, thank you for your sugestions.
I’ll check and update you. Cheers!:beers:

Hey, it was simple, … as usualy :slight_smile:
I had to add a roughness map. Now the result is very close to what I expect,… maybe a little bit better :yum:

2 Likes

blinn/phong spec-gloss material??what is mean? i dont understand

@yunianhzuang, the blinn-phong lighting model is the method that our standard material uses for calculating light. For the diffuse contribution, we use the dot product of the surface normal and the light direction multiplied by the light color. The specular reflections take the half vector (view direction + light direction) and dot it with the normal direction. The result is then raised to the power of the gloss value and multiplied by the specular color.

Basically, this model relies on a diffuse map, a specular map, and a gloss map for lighting calculations. The other model we have for materials is physically-based rendering or PBR which relies on a base color, roughness, and metallic map and uses an image-based lighting map in combination with any analytical lights in the scene to calculate lighting.