Software for "telling a tale"?

I have been playing with a project that involves telling a story and ran across a couple of pieces of software that allow you to tell stories : Yarn Spinner and Ink

There are some videos on YouTube about them - but they seem to be aimed at Unity and C#.

Anybody have any experience with these packages, or similar software that can be integrated with Javascript?

cheers, gryff :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey there gryff! How you’re doing :smiley:

I hadn’t heard of these projects before, they look pretty cool! I myself love narrative games :smiley: Digging a bit in ink’s github page, it looks like they have a javascript port: y-lohse/inkjs: A javascript port of inkle’s ink scripting language. (github.com) :slight_smile: I’ll save this to try out later, if I make anything I’ll certainly post here!

Also, it’s not Javascript nor Unity, but the first thing that always comes to my mind with “narrative game tools” is always RenPy: The Ren’Py Visual Novel Engine (renpy.org) :sweat_smile: I remember hanging around on forums and downloading games made with it

2 Likes

@carolhmj : Yes please, let us all know how it goes. I would like to be able to create a dialogue that uses audio files. Could be a nice addition to the BJS ability to create a game :slight_smile:

I should maybe spend more time playing with them. Unfortunately the YouTube videos I have seen are more about self promotion than actual “how to do it” :frowning:

cheers, gryff :slight_smile:

Very interesting!
It would be great to see some kind of library that makes it easier to create stories.
In any case, a starting point and always welcome is to design your own system using XML or JSON files, for example declaring the different phases of the story and defining the dialogues, animations…

1 Like